I had a scheduled interview today at 2pm with a Government contracting firm located in Fairfax, Virginia. I met with the HR Director, who tells me the detail of the workload she is facing. The primary company located in Fairfax, Virginia, just acquired another company located in Rockville, Maryland. Both companies total about 500 people spread across the United States in different locations. Right now there are two of everything until things come together, which is anticipated to be within the next year. The HR Director explained the anticipated company changes, expectations of the job, and tasks at hand. She said I was one of five selected for interview, she is halfway through interviewing, anticipating a decision next week. She didn't sound happy. I was surprised this company was located in a medical building (below). I liked the windows on the top floor.
Looks like the landscapers paid a visit....more spring flowers, they appear to be pansies.
While I was at home this morning, preparing for my 2pm interview, I checked my "professional" email account that I use for job hunting. A company I applied to last week located less than 5 miles from home asks in their email if I was available today for an interview. I responded that I was available after 4pm. I now had two interviews today, good thing I check my email!!! Why would someone use email to set up an interview instead of calling?
This (second interview) company is an Environmental company with two subsidiaries, one is an IT company and another is a Government contracting firm. These companies total 300 people together. Turns out the person who had the job retired after working there 25 years. I interviewed with Vice President who would be the direct report. They had a temp in the job for the last couple of months who made several mistakes, she was let go this morning. The job also requires interaction with two accounting people, who I also met with. Basically, the job is set up, binder of instructions, they just need someone who will do the job. The company appeared to be a slower paced type company and everyone has worked there for awhile. One of the accounting ladies said "this is the place where you can work forever." I take that as a good thing, a guaranteed job as long as you do the job. The VP said he's looking for someone who will be around for a long while, not a job shopper. Sounds right up my alley, I'm not a job shopper. Here is the building where I interviewed with the VP. It's not a good picture, facing into the sun, you get the idea. The other side has a pond with ducks and benches, a lovely place to sit and have lunch when the weather is warmer.
The VP asked when I was available, which I said "immediately"!! I really don't want to get my hopes up. I try to look at each interview as a learning experience. Sure would be nice to have one of these jobs.
Hope your Tuesday was eventful, mine certainly was, thanks for sharing it with me.



3 comments:
I'm excited for you. It really sounds like you'll get one of these jobs, though I know you don't want to get your hopes up. Can't wait to hear your news, if there is news. The fact that you had two interviews is impressive.
What a blessing to get two interviews in the same day! Sending positive thoughts your way...
Sounds like a great place to work. Hope it all works out for you.
The pond sounds nice for a walk around during lunch. : )
Post a Comment