Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tired and Sore

We supported the local Boy Scouts when they distributed their flyers in the neighborhood last month selling mulch.  We bought 16 bags, which were delivered at 7am this morning as promised on their flyer.


After my coffee about 10am this morning, John says "are you ready to mulch?"  So many responses ran through my mind.  I provided the preferred response, "yeah, sure".  It was 55 degrees at 10am, which was just fine with me.  It was suppose to rain, guess there was a change in the forecast I missed.  I prefer to spread mulch when it is cool outside anyway, not too warm, I get really sweaty.  John loaded the mulch in the wheelbarrow, opening the bags at each area around the house.  My job was to rake it flat, making sure it was not too close to the house yet covered the base of all the plants and bushes.  Here's the front porch area...after mulch.  Now we're ready for the hostas to pop up in about another month.


We completed almost the whole area around the house, the back garden, and the shed.  There is a small patch we skipped for now because it is a hiding place for the winter leaves.  We forgot it needed cleaning out before we could mulch that area, so that's a chore for another day.  Here's by the back shed where the Crocus have just popped up.  This was before we mulched.  I was hoping the mulch would not ruin the delicate Crocus.


This is after the mulch was applied.  I did not capture the white Crocus in the picture above, which I did in the picture below.


Along the front of the house, we have a Rhododendron plant that was damaged badly by the heavy winter snow we had in January.  I did alot of cutting of dead branches.  In the picture below the cuttings look green, the branches were brown and dead.  Hopefully, next year the Rhododendron will come back thicker.


John had seen advertised on TV "The Big Screen Store" had a deal for a 72 inch TV Flat Screen (ours currently is 68 inch projection), where they offered $200 off regular price, in addition, haul away (and yes, recycle) the old TV for no additional cost.  This will be delivered on Monday.  We are not buying the cabinet that is displayed (additional $1500).  Thank goodness for tax refunds.


It seems the view will be bigger on the TV in my house on Monday.

2 comments:

Vee said...

It's always so satisfying to get the mulching done. Oh I wish we had some Boy Scouts around...it's the way to go having it delivered right to the door. Hauling all those bags home from the garden center would be no picnic.

HappyK said...

Everything always looks so much nicer after the mulching is done. We used to get a huge truck load of it delivered and I was the one usually doing the mulching. I liked working out in the yard though. Now living in a town house we have a tiny little yard and it is taken care of for us. I still like to plant some extra flowers around though.
Enjoy that nice new big television. :-)