Pages

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Errand Day

Didn't do much yesterday, laundry and a little house cleaning, not even worth the post.  Today, much different.  I had an appointment this morning with my car dealership.  In Virginia, we must get our cars inspected annually.  In December, the car inspector told me I needed new rear brakes, mine barely passed inspection.  I figured I'd better have the dealer look at it.  Inspector was right, I got the call.  I got an oil change, I had a cracked motor mount repaired and new rear brakes cost $860.39, gone is a chunk of our tax refund.  I had my cell phone with me and put the camera to work, everywhere I went.  Watch out, I'm starting to get the hang of this picture posting.
The good news I suppose is that I won't need rear brakes for awhile.  The dealer also gave me a "report card" on everything they checked.  Looks like I'll need three new tires.  John said it is best to buy four (or two, not three) and make the best one the spare.  New tires may have to wait until I find a job.  The dealer offers loaner cars for $10 while they worked on my car.  I got the loaner and went to the grocery store to pick up a few things.
I didn't have a list, so I picked up some things I knew we needed and a couple of treats :)  I got out of there under a $100, whew!  Headed home and unpacked and put away the groceries.  I got a call about 1:30 telling me my car was ready.  Headed back to the dealer and picked up my car.  The car I had before this one was a 1997 Cadillac.  I miss that car.  Whenever I use to take my Caddy in for service, they would wash it and vacuum it, had that new car smell when you picked it up, no matter how old the car was.  Not my Ford, the leaves from last fall were still on the floorboard, and all the salt from this past winter's roads is pasted on the outside of my black car, making it look a bit poka dotted.  Time for my car to have a bath.  Headed to the gas station to fill up.  Not sure if I got a deal or got robbed, $3.50 a gallon?  I noticed there was no line at the car wash next door.  Decided to vacuum my car first, get rid of last fall's leaves on the floorboard.
While I was vacuuming my car, three more cars rolled over from the gas station and got in line at the car wash.  I was still at the vacuum station, finishing up my car.  When I finally finished, I rolled into the line, now 4th in line.  So much for figuring I'd take advantage of the nice weather and get my car cleaned, inside and out.  Now I'm sitting in a line at the car wash, oh well.
Finally about a half hour later, I finished at the car wash.  I got "the works", suppose to include a undercarriage wash (hoping to get the salt off underneath the car) and spotless dry.  While in line waiting, as I pulled closer, I noticed by skipping the (not so) spotless dry and undercarriage wash, I could have saved $2.  I paid $9 for the works, note to self...next time get the regular wash, the extra $2 was worthless.  One more stop to make.
In Virginia, our liquor stores are state owned.  One of the considerations the state is currently wrestling with is to sell the liquor stores, let them all be privately owned.  Apparently, the operating cost exceeds the revenue, another cost-cutting measure.  Just as long as the don't shut them down all together!  It was nice to get out and enjoy today, even if it was a bit expensive (car repair, groceries, gas, car wash, and liquor store).  I haven't been out much all winter, think of all the money I've been saving!  Got myself a little treat earlier at the grocery store, sale started today, two for $4, wadda deal! 


Please join me, let's relax and enjoy the view.

1 comment:

HappyK said...

You had a busy day and those strawberries look delicious.
I have to wash my car myself. I'd NEVER trust anyone else with my car!! :-)