I decided I'd better get myself down to Dept. of Motor Vehicles and get that vision test taken care of to renew my license. We must take a vision test every ten years after 40. Yes, I'm having one of THOSE birthdays this month. When I took the test 10 years ago, I didn't think I had any problems with my eyesight. The DMV clerk said "do you wear glasses or contacts", which I don't. Not sure if it was the power of suggestion, but shortly thereafter, I noticed I was having problem with fine print. You know, like the kind on the back of an aspirin bottle. I came across those magnavision glasses at CVS. I started with the lowest number 1.25, I think. Over the years, I've increased to 1.75. I went to the eye doctor last year, who said my eyes were normal, I had a small stigmatism that's all. He gave me reading glasses to help. He said as we age, the eye has trouble focusing, especially after age 40. I now have "reading glasses".
They now have a non-consecutive number posting system to call people to the counter. Gone are the days with the signs hanging from the ceiling "license renewal, driving test, and license plates" with a line for each. Numbers were called about every two minutes, the place was about half full. I had arrived at 11:03am, informed that it was lunch time and the clerks were cycling out for lunch. There were four clerks. At 11:38, my number, B58, was called by the computer. I wanted to jump up and scream "BINGO!!" However, about 75% of the population at DMV appeared to be foreign or of foreign decent, my joke would surely be lost. I was directed to window 12 where a clerk asked me to look into the machine and read the top row of letters, which I did. No questions and I even did it without my glasses. I worried, should I put my glasses on for the test. I figured I'd try the test first without the glasses, then explain I use them for reading only, if I couldn't proceed. I recalled ten years ago, I was asked to read several lines in the eye machine. Today, just the top line, yeah! The clerk directed me to a white board to have my picture taken. They no longer give you your license, they mail it to you now. Apparently, many folks were producing false addresses on their license, leading to produce other false documents. Since they mail it now, if the address provided DMV is false, you just won't get your license. I was given a paper with my name, address, date of birth and told this is a temporary license. I was to keep my soon to be expired license and my new temporary license together until my new permanent license arrives in the mail in about 10 days (my birthday is in 10 day, just in time). Mission accomplished, I was relieved that is over and done, for at least the next five years, then I renew online, until the next eye exam, five years after. Next errand, grocery store.
I got to Shoppers because they are the only grocery store in my area that carries the 24 oz Diet Cokes that John likes. To my disappointment, they didn't have the 24 oz Diet Cokes, they were all out (on a Tuesday?). I asked when the next delivery is expected, which I was informed would be Thursday. Just great, we're expecting rain, a Falsh Flood warning has been issued from tomorrow evening through Friday morning. Looks like it will wait until Friday now.
I do most of my food shopping at Giant Food. I don't care for the meat and poultry at Shoppers, I've found some of to be expired (still for sale after the Sell By date). Non-perishables and personal items are cheaper at Shoppers than Giant. I confess, I go online and read their weekly flyers to see what is on sale at which store and divide up my list. John perfers I do most of the shopping at Giant. They are currently offering a gas discount at Shell gas stations depending on the amount you spend, balances are good for 30 days. Say I was to spend $100 at Giant, I would receive 100 points or 10 cents off a gallon ($200=200 point and 20 cent off per gallon, etc). As gas continues to rise daily, this is important.
I feel relieved, my license is renewed. That has been weighing on my mind, thankfully, no longer.


3 comments:
Happy almost birthday!
There's a DMV Express near where I work and it's quick and easy. I've had to go to the regular one with others and it's such a pain! I don't like the non-consecutive numbering system. It's nice to know we only need renewal every 5 years. I wonder if MD mails the licenses now. I've never heard of that.
Our rain starts tonight. I think I'll be staying in tomorrow on my day off.
Happy Wednesday!
Ditto to what Cheryl said. I go the same place she does!!
I just got my license renewed this past May. It was very easy and quick and believe it or not my picture even came out good!!
I live across the street from a Giant and don't like it. I can never seem to find anything I want there. I do most of my shopping at the commissary and just run into the Giant when I forget or need something right away.
Have a happy day.
I'm glad I'm done with the license renewal, at least for the next five years. Won't know if my picture came out good until I get it. When I asked the lady if I blinked, she said "the picture hasn't come up yet", whatever that meant. I remember the days of the commmissary, I'd go with my Mom. I miss those days, when the pain of inflation was not felt so hard. We used to think back then "how can people afford to buy anything at a regular grocery store?" You do what you have to do. Between gas and grocercies, I think we're all feeling the pinch.
Post a Comment