Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Nice Time Change Weekend

Wow, what a nice weekend.  Did you remember the time change?  I was awake at 2am when it actually did change.  Our cable system displays a digital clock on the converter box if you don't select the channel display.  I watched it change from 2am to 3am in a fingersnap.  I didn't intentionally stay awake for the time change, I was already awake watching a movie.

The temps were mid 50s and sunshine both days this weekend.  We made the trip to Best Buy Saturday.  John bought me an iPod for my birthday next Friday.  I selected the iPod Nano.  I don't need anything fancy, and until I know more about it, the Nano suits my needs.


I researched iPods online as I do with most significant purchases.  I've had too many years of buying things that weren't what I thought they were or didn't do what I expected them to do only because I had researched it.  My Blackberry Storm cell phone is one of those "wish I didn't buy this" purchases.  The online research looked great, however, functionally, for a non-geek like me, it is useless.  All the buttons are too close together.  When using "touch screen" that isn't good, it is difficult to select what you want.  It should have included a "wand" to touch for selections (my calling as a fix it inventor, lol).  Anyway, I was surprised the Nano has a built in Pedometer that will be nice when I start walking.  Also included is an FM radio which picked up all the local stations, you can then select your "favorite" station for quick access play.  The Nano comes in a very small box.


Seems Apple took a page from Microsoft (since Steve Jobs and Bills Gates use to work together in the 70s?).  Notice the "Start here" on the inside of the box?  Turns out "Start here" is a very small and basic instructions booklet with a website listed where you download an 85 page manual (bet they're saving gozillions in publishing).  You know how when you buy something new you can't wait to start using it?  Well this is just like a new cell phone, it has to be "charged" first.  The charging took 3 hours!  I hope the battery usage time is at least that.


It is hard to see in my blurry pictures, but you get the idea of what the mini instruction booklet is.  It shows you how different screens look on the Nano.  You are directed to the manual for further instructions on these screens operations.  As with all iPods I suppose, I was required to open an account with iTunes, which I did.  iTunes then requires a "charge account" (credit card) to download songs.  When I was at Best Buy talking to the sales guy, one of my questions "what if I don't like it?"  I must return it within 30 days of purchase WITH THE RECEIPT and ORIGINAL PACKAGING for a full refund.  I specifically asked if it would be for a refund or store credit, he said refund.

My concern is the small screen.  One of the online reviews said that the screens were too small to read, yet another review stated that as long as you knew where and what the icons were, you could pretty much move around the Nano with little problem, while walking or running.

After hours of reading the 85 page manual, going back and forth to iTunes, I purchased three songs for starters (@ $1.29 ea).  The Nano comes with 8 songs of different genre (rock, classical, jazz, etc).  I have to be patient in learning all the functions of the Nano (hopefully, it doesn't take me the 30 days decision time period).  I'm not very patient.  I have put it down several times and gone back to it in a couple of hours only because of my patience.  I want it and I want it NOW!! :)

John mentioned that he would also like to use it while mowing the lawn in the summertime.  I asked him if he would like to hear what it sounded like.  He said he wanted me to figure it out first, then show him (darn).  We also have two completely different tastes in music.  I'm sure there's a way of creating his and her playlists.

I will need to buy another set of ear phones, I think they are called ear buds.  The ones that came with it won't stay in my ear.  I spied alot of accessories.  The sale guy also asked me if I would be interested in accessories.  I hesitated and told him that until I know I'm keeping it, I don't want to buy any accessories to return too.

I did some walking around the yard as I saw some neighbors on our street whose daffodils were in full bloom already.  Armed with my cell phone camera, things are coming up quite nicely as you can see, but nothing in bloom yet.  You can see sprouts of green around the backyard shed.


Even in the woods, daffodils are sprouting.  I noticed the puddles from all the rain have evaporated too.


Just finished making a roast with mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans for dinner and got the dishes loaded in the dishwasher.  I think I'll go play with my Nano for awhile until I get frustrated.  I'll probably watch TV and then head to bed.  Only my nightstand clock is left to "spring forward".  I have another interview tomorrow afternoon, can't be late.  I won't get my hopes up, the let down is too disappointing.  Everything happens for a reason, there will be a job out there for me when it is right, I have to believe that.

Thanks for sharing this small part of the weekend with me.  I hope the rest of yours was good.

1 comment:

Vee said...

Oh my! I am lost in such a techy world. My cell phone is simple and ancient. My computer is a desktop. My mind doesn't bend the way it used to...probably needs some exercise. Thank you for your nice visits and comments down my way.