Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Grocery Trip

"I can help you over here, M'am" the cashier said to me as she flagged me over to her newly opened register.  I was third in line at Giant and there was another lady behind me.  I specifically planned my grocery shopping for today, as yesterday was forecasted rain.  It didn't start raining until almost 7pm last night, they were wrong....again.

I woke up this morning suspecting that it was not going to be clear as forecasted since they had messed up yesterday's forecast.  It was still raining this morning.  It's cold too, colder than it has been in awhile.  I thought of my blogger friend, Happyone, on her daily walk in the rain today, hope she's dry and warm.

I don't like grocery shopping in the rain.  I convinced myself to just do it and get it over with while I was into my third cup of coffee.  It was 10:30am when I finally left the house.  The rain had stopped, everything is still wet, it just isn't raining.  As I was getting in my car to head out, I had forgotten about the tree at the end of the driveway that leaves its debris all over the bottom half of the driveway every Spring before it blooms.  Half the driveway is red from the droppings of this tree.  Those who know trees, probably know what this is, I don't.  What I do know is that it will all fall off the tree onto the driveway and leaves will sprout from the tree.  Isn't Spring great?


It sure was chilly this morning.  My car exterior temperature gauge read 41 degress.  I checked the forecast to be sure I was clear of the rain.  I noticed the high today was expected to be 48 degrees.  I put on a sweater and my raincoat, just in case.


I got to the grocery store armed with my list and to my surprise, found everything on my list.  I did not get any Diet Cokes, we still have plenty.  That would require a trip to Shopper's Food Warehouse anyway, not a day for an extra trip.  This trip was groceries only to the Giant.  I pulled back into the driveway at 12:10pm.  Whew, an hour and 40 minutes for that trip.  I got everything unpacked, put away and turned on the TV to get the last of the noon news.  The "normal" high for today is suppose to be 58 degrees.  Did anyone see what happened to Spring?  Usually we only have about two weeks of Spring before we roll into the heat and humidity with temps in the 80s.  I just heard the news tonight, you won't belive this.  S-N-O-W is expected on Sunday...accumulating snow, great.  Last Friday we reached 79 degrees.

I suppose this is our cold spell before Spring arrives.  Next week we are suppose to have overnight temps below freezing.  I'm so glad I haven't taken the comforter off the bed or put away my sweaters.

3 comments:

HappyK said...

I stayed dry until the last mile of my walk. I was pretty wet by the time I got home.
I tried to wait for pizza day tomorrow but just couldn't wait!!
I can't believe this crazy weather. As long as we don't get ice and I can still walk, I really don't mind what the weather does. : )

Cheryl said...

This weather is just crazy! I only wore my fleece jacket today because I knew I wouldn't be out long and I didn't want my coat.

My driveway is covered with the casings that covered the soon to 'hatch' flowers of my pear tree. That pear tree is a pain in the spring and fall. It's fine in the summer, thank goodness.

I did my Safeway shopping today. I only shop the sales there. We have a Weis in my neighborhood and I do most of my shopping there.

Have a great night!

Vee said...

The weather this winter...er...spring...has been odd. It's spitting snow here. No flowers. No budding trees. I did the grocery shopping today so feel as if I was the shopper behind you at Giant, except I shopped at Wal*Mart. Then we did it all over again this evening in the other direction. Hang in there, it'll turn around.