"It's so good to see you again" and "good to see you again, I've missed you" were the words my best friend and I exchanged today as we hugged. We stay in touch over email, by phone, and yes, by Facebook. Seeing each other face to face is the best. We've been through good times and bad, happy times and sad. She's like a sister, we couldn't be closer. So much catching up to do. Neither one of us like talking on the phone for the sake of "conversation" or gabbing. When we talk on the phone, it because we're setting up a reunion or maybe to check in on the other because of concern. We talked last night on the phone for a few minutes about what time she would be arriving at my house today.
I was so happy to see her pull in the driveway. She was thinner than last year or maybe she just looked thinner. She still looks almost like she did over 35 years ago, only more mature, still happy. She was wearing her trademark smile with her arms open for a hug. We went inside for a few minutes and talked about her trip. She said she saw an accident on the interstate. Nothing serious, a "rear ender", usually caused by someone tailgating or someone else stopping too fast or both. She said it slowed her down about 10 minutes while the cars passing slowed to a crawl to stare. If you life anywhere near the Washington, DC metropolitan area, you know what I mean. Other than that, she said her trip was uneventful. By this time it was almost 1:15pm, we were both getting hungry.
We headed out, I drove since I know the roads. We agreed yesterday to go to Logan's Roadhouse. I had emailed her the link for their menu. Always good to know what's on the menu ahead of time, saves time when ordering.
We both ordered salads, I had a rum & diet coke, she ordered a glass of red wine. The salads were delicious. We talked about my unemployment, the difficulty of finding employment in this economy. She's been retired for about 5 years, her husband just retired last year. She talked about the aggravation of putting new windows in their home last fall. They're talking about putting on a new roof to their home maybe this summer. She's hoping not to have to relive the nightmare of having the project of a new roof dragged out over months, similar to their window replacement project. The company they're looking to at has done work for someone else they know. The roofing company comes highly recommended and the job can be completed in a day barring no complications. We talked about so many things. You know the feeling when a family member comes home for the holidays and you catch up on each others lives? It was that kind of feeling.
She picked up the check, calling it my birthday present. We always exchange birthday cards, usually not gifts, I thanked her for her generosity. About 3pm we headed back to my house. Such a nice day, the sun was out, it was about 65 degrees. We sat on the back deck with another glass of wine. We continued to exchange lives for almost another hour and half, time went too fast. She left around 4:30 for her dinner meeting about half an hour from my house.
We promised each other we would not wait another 8 months before we got together again. With the summer coming and me (currently) not working, it would be a good time to get some plans in the works. We agreed to set something up, we hugged. She waived as she pulled out of the driveway, I waived back.
Such a nice feeling to share your life with someone over so many years. I missed her already and look forward to our next reunion. We are BFFs.

1 comment:
It is always nice to spend time with friends and it sounds like the two of you had a wonderful time.
I have a forever friend like that too, Bernice. We have known each other since we were babies. Our parents knew each other. She is the sister I never had.
Post a Comment