Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stay in Rhythm

I'm trying to stay in the rhythm of blogging and walking, not having much luck with either.  My knee and ankles have been bothering me.  I'm not sure pushing the walk to the end of the street (a mile and a half by the way) and back maybe wasn't a good idea.  Who knows, maybe I should revert to the "no pain, no gain" momentum.  Last night after visiting my fellow bloggers, I was so tired, I went to bed instead of posting a new blog.  Must have been the excitement of the interview catching up with me.  Saturday at 8:30am, I've agreed to join a group the trainer has put together for a group walk.  I must email the trainer to be sure the group is not experienced marathon walkers.  I haven't reached that level yet and don't want to hold them back.

I decided to take a shorter walk this morning to the other end of the street.  When I got there, it wasn't so painful, so I kept going.  First time I've ventured beyond this point, it was a nice surprise.  I drank my pot of coffee and watched the news as usual this morning before heading out.  We had some rain overnight that had stopped and it was overcast with sunshine and temps in the lower 80s expected.  It was 74 degrees about 9am, our humidity has stayed low, thankfully.



As I got my gear together (iPod, keys, sunglasses, hat, etc), I noticed the sun was starting to come out.  I began my walk today on the opposite side of the street where it is mostly trees, it is cooler under the trees.



As I walked to the corner where I normally turn around, I kept going.  I came upon this yard.  On a tree was a flag inserted in a yellow ribbon wrapped around the tree.  I thought that maybe someone living here had served in the Middle East and did not make it home, a memorial.  Perhaps it is a post Memorial Day (never taken down) or pre-Independance Day decoration.  Either way, it was a reminder to me to be grateful for those who have served and given us freedom.


As I continued along, I saw the beautiful hanging basket by someone's front door with pink and white pansies along the front of the house.  I just love flowers.  A little further down, I also saw someone had created a backyard garden.  In my teenage years, my Mom and I created a backyard garden of tomatoes.  It was only one summer, we were not very successful, we maybe harvested ten tomatoes, pitiful.  I suppose it is what drives me to care for my tomato plantings in my garden.  I had quite the bounty of tomatoes last year, gave most of them away, sadly threw some away too.  If you look closely you'll see a red cardinal on the fence of this garden.  I crossed the street and began to head back in the direction of home.



I grew up in the military, my father was in the Air Force until I was 17 years old when he retired after 30 years of service.  We were always moving every 2-4 years.  I never "grew up" with a best friend or known anyone since kindergarten.  I never had one of these in my yard either, did you?  I wonder why this one is hanging so close to the sidewalk?


I approached this house, which so happened to be directly across the street from the house that had the flag with the yellow ribbon wrapped around the tree.  Again I wondered, was this a soldier memorial or a post Memorial Day pre-Independence Day decoration?  Hummm.....interesting, coincidence?


It is Thursday, yes once again, trash day.  I fetched our trash can from the street and stored it safely in the garage until Sunday night when it goes out for pickup again Monday.  Heading home, it's good to know that our trash pickup employees do not discriminate on the trash cans they sling halfway into the street.  I see our neighbors are being treated the same as us.  Sadly, it is too much trouble place the trash can off the street after it is emptied.


Finally home again, I had walked a mile and a half and didn't realize it and in the opposite direction I regularly take my longer walks.  My hostas are beginning to sprout the little purple bells which usually bloom in July.  They're a little early I guess from all the heat we've had this spring.


I will spend some time this afternoon searching the job websites for new position postings.  I hope to hear something from the interview last Tuesday either tomorrow or Monday.  It certainly would be a blessing to get the job.

Thanks for joining me today, glad to have you visit.

2 comments:

HappyK said...

Good for you walking a mile and a half! That's great. Just be happy with that for a while. I wouldn't try to walk until you are sore. Once a mile and a half is easy for you than just add a quarter of a mile every month. I think if you take it slow you will build up to a longer walk. I think they say that 3 miles is a good goal to shoot for.
Again it's not the distance but the persistence.

No, I never had a swing in my yard. Maybe this one is close to the sidewalk because that was the only tree that was good for a swing.

Yes, I did see the cardinal.

Cheryl said...

Yes, a mile and a half is good. It's more than I'm doing, which is nothing!

Enjoy your Saturday. See ya soon :)