Pages

Friday, June 03, 2011

Tomato Day

Before I discuss my progress with the tomatoes, I'm bursting with news!  Remember yesterday I shared my record steps at blog posting time?  I've reposted in case you forgot....here's where I was at that time.


As I do nightly, before taking off my pedometer and resetting it to zero, I record my steps.  I was in such amazement, I had to grab the camera to share!  One word....woohoo!!  Thank you so much Happyone for supporting and inspiring me.  You were one of the reasons I started this journey.  I know ten thousand steps will come soon.  Your support means so much, thank you!!


Today's task at hand was the tomato plantings.  Let me preface this by saying what a beautiful day (upper 70s, low humidity), not a cloud in the sky, pure sunshine, absolutely gorgeous.  Okay, back to the task at hand.  I started planting the tomatoes and thought, I need a 'Before & After' picture.  So with few tomatoes planted, here is the 'Before'.


The tray of tomatoes was suppose to be eight, turns out to be ten.  These come in holders of 4 per packet holder, and I had ten holders, yikes!  I found half a bag of vegetable plant potting soil in the (man cave) garage.  I loaded the wheelbarrow with the potting soil, potting tools, a towel, and the kneeling pad.  The first row you see, I planted singularly.  I realized I had too many plants to continue with this plan.  I decided the next row to dig a gulch or ditch and plant 4-5.  After a I filled the space I had to plant, I still had leftovers.  John said we will go to Home Depot tomorrow and buy more vegetable plant soil.  Here's what I ended up with AFTER WATERING them, they're not dead!


John came home from work, and I bragged that I got the tomatoes planted (thinking he would be proud that I got that finally accomplished).  Needless to say, he felt he had to tell me how I should have planted them.  All I said was I suppose I should have waited until you came home to do it.  I explained I had leftovers.  "You bought too many" he said.  I informed him I had intended to put them in the two topsy-turveys I had and three pots I had.  John wanted me to plant the tomatoes in the spot where we tore out the rosebushes.  I had never planted tomatoes directly in the ground, this was my first....live and learn.  Hopefully, something survives and sprouts tomatoes and thankfully, there's always next year.

John had stopped off at Lowe's on his way home.  He had showed me a couple of air filters for the furnace he'd purchased and some bags of pebbles.  I mentioned previously we've got a critter problem with chipmunks.  They're digging up everything.  For some reason, they like to hide near the air conditioning unit.  John decided to put some rocks around to keep them from digging around the air conditioner.


Remember the plant I posted the other day and said I didn't recall the name but it has lovely purple sprouts on it when it blooms?  Here's the reposting of the plant.


My cousin in Newfoundland is closed enough to a horticulturist for me.  She quickly emailed after reading my blog with what she thought it was.  I don't remember the names of plants very well.  She certainly does.  She emailed me this picture of what it looks like in bloom.  I'll keep this picture and repost when mine blooms.


Finally, my last bit of news for the day.  Another Stargazer Lilly burst open.  Of course, I have to post this picture...can't have enough pictures!  The new one is on the left.  The stem only had one bud.  As you can see the larger Stargazer Lilly on the right still has a few more buds to open, woohoo!


After our Friday night Newman's Own pizza (cooked by John :), John asked if I wanted to take a walk with him after dinner.  I was shocked!  I think he's ready to start getting healthy too.  We walked to the end of the street and back, about 15 minutes, a beginning.  We agreed we should try to walk in the evenings after dinner while the weather is nice and the days are long.  I hope this lasts for awhile.

Thanks for being a part of my day.  Feel free to comment, I love hearing from you!

1 comment:

HappyK said...

I am so happy that I have helped you in any way to start walking. : )
That's great that John has started too.
I think you did a great job planting the tomatoes and hope you get LOTS of tomatoes.