Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

It's Getting Better All The Time

Thankfully, last evening the rain showed up.  It was a brief shower, initially.  In the wee hours of the morning, I heard it coming down on the roof.  I got out of bed to be sure it was rain by peering through the window shades.  Yep, it was welcomed rain .... for my tomatoes!  The remnants of last night's rain was on the flagstone next to the garage, the rest had evaporated with the humidity.


The 11pm news had indicated showers were possible and that temperatures would be dropping (woohoo!).  I allowed myself the luxury of sleeping in this morning when I peeked at the clock, it was 6:22, I rolled over and went back to sleep.  The next time I rolled over to look at the clock it was 7:07.  I gave in and got up heading straight to the coffee pot in the kitchen.  I made the coffee the night before, in the morning all I have to do is hit the "start" button, viola, coffee!  When I'm working, I program the coffeemaker to start automatically because I usually jump right in the shower, no manual operation required.

Since I've been walking in the heat, I've delayed my showers until after my morning walks.  Cool showers aren't that bad, they actually feel good.  When I left this morning after my 2nd cup of coffee, it looked like 75 degrees.


Feeling like I've got my momentum going, I decided to take the longer route walk this morning, ha!  What use to take me 30 minutes, ended up taking me only 20 minutes.  Had it not been so humid, I would have walked more.  As it was, I was panting and sweating my way to my door, wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Today was partly cloudy or mostly sunny, depending on your outlook I suppose.  I prefer to think of it was mostly sunny because I'm a sun lovin girl!


Sharing a peek of what I saw on my walk is the lovely Cape Cod home which had added dormers.  I love dormers!  They add so much more to a Cape Cod.  The first house I'd lived in with dormers was a house my parents rented while looking for a home to buy after my father retired after 30 years with the Air Force at Andrews AFB.  Dad had secured a job in in the private sector in Annapolis, Maryland shortly after his retirement.  My parents had never owned a home before.  We always moved every 2 to 4 years living in base housing.

We stayed just beyond Annapolis, Maryland, a place called Edgewater.  It was truly right on the water!  There were window seats in each dormer of this huge Cape Cod home on the water.  As a 15 year old, it make it a perfect spot to sit and daydream looking out at the water, such a peaceful place.  Since then, I've related dormers to this experience.  My parents bought a Cape Cod home in Bowie, Maryland in August 1972, it did not have dormers, I wish it did.  It looked just like this house without the dormers, of course.  Oh the memories of sneaking out my bedroom above the garage so many years ago!  My parents bedroom was just left of the front door, they thought they would hear everything, ha!


Looks like I'm not the only one with the Day Lillies popping out.  This was at the base of someone's mailbox.  I'm not sure what the other flower is, possibly another type of lily.  No matter, very pretty I think.


In my final stretch for home, I see children and some Mom's standing at the corner where I had walked 10 minutes earlier and no one was there.  Just as I approached, the school bus pulled up...ahha.


Arriving home, as mentioned earlier, I was sweating.  It's not the heat, it's the humidity (as you locals reading this know).  The temperature when I got home a balmy 75 degrees at 9:05am.


Finishing up the pot of coffee remaining, I figured I'd check my computer email and my Weather Bug.  Opening up my computer, my Weather Bug was flashing an Alert.  When I clicked the flashing Alert on the Weather Bug it was an Air Quality Alert, which we are under until noon Saturday (tomorrow).  All children and elderly are to take precautions if they must be outdoors.  I love my Weather Bug, if you decide to download it, you will too.


After my shower, I took a quick walk around the yard.  I was pleased to see a Day Lily had bloomed that I thought was doomed from deer munching.  Alas, we have a survivor (notice deer chomped brown sprouts)!  This normally sprouts about five to seven blooms if the deer don't graze.


Lastly, I checked the rain gage, nada, nothing.  Anything that might had registered had evaporated.  When John come home, he confirmed hearing last night's rain for a brief period.  Asking if he thought the tomato plants should be watered with the hose, he thought we were safe for the evening.  We'll take a look at them in the morning to see if they need a drink before the heat is upon them.

Guess what!  I got a call this afternoon from a company that I applied to.  I believe I mentioned I am an Human Resources Manager.  Being out of work so long, I am applying to everything that matches my skills.  This position is an HR Administrator for a property management company, the largest in the United States with a location in Mexico they claim.  My interview is next Tuesday at 11am, wish me luck, I will need it.

Not sure what John has planned for the weekend; therefore, not sure if I'll be posting this weekend.  I will if I can, otherwise, I'll see you Monday.  Have a great (and cool) weekend, thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

HappyK said...

We had rain here early last evening. I met Ken and his co-workers at Rams Head for happy hour and we were sitting on the deck and had to come inside. The rain only made things steamier.
Sounds like your walk is getting easier for you!!
When we lived in Waldorf, I went to the commissary at Andrews.
Cape cods are one of my favorite type of houses and I love the dormers on one.
Enjoy your weekend.

HappyK said...

Oh one more thing. Good luck on the job interview. Maybe this will be the ONE. : )

Cheryl said...

I love the dormers too. They really 'make' the Cape Cod.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

Retired Knitter said...

I know I am late in catching up on reading posts... but good luck on the interview. I am intersted in hearing how it went from your perspective!!! When I was out of work and interviewing, I approached each interview as if I was practicing ... as if it wasn't important ... doing that took the stress of and I interviewed better.. All the interviews counted .. but the mind game I used helped me as I was more relaxed. Of course, as a Human Resource Manager, you probably have the interviewing thing down pat - since I am sure that doing interviews is part of your skill set!!