Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I Don't Like Spiders

Today is the first day of summer arriving at 1:16pm today - Happy Summer!  I don't really feel a difference between yesterday (Spring) and today (Summer).  Kinda like birthdays, you never really feel older on your birthday.

We had a blazen summer last year, I hope we're not in for the same or hotter this year.  Spring around here started out nice, it ended too hot around here in my opinion.  Oh how I'd love a cottage on the beach in North Carolina like the one in the movie Message in a Bottle!

I started out my morning as usual with my pot of coffee and the news.  I mistakingly opened my laptop to check my email.  I ended responding to emails and playing computer games half the morning, not part of my plan.  I have to learn when I have plans to leave the laptop alone.  I hoped to get out early for a walk then to the grocery store.  Needless to say, the walk was scratched.  Just as well, the humidity went up today, weather blew in from Florida again.  We're in for high humidity through Friday (as of today's forecast...always subject to change).  Just as I was shutting down the laptop to get moving, I noticed a spider on the screen sliding glass door.  I don't like spiders and this one was huge.  It just happened to be on the inside of the screen.  The only thing between IT and ME was the sliding glass door.  I decided I wasn't opening the sliding glass door today.  I'll let John deal with this when he comes home.


I returned from the grocery store, unpacked and put away the groceries.  It was very humid, about 85 degrees (and I was sweating).  I went to the new Shoppers Food Warehouse.  I like that grocery store, even if it is a bit out of my way.  Since I didn't get my walk in, I parked further away from the front of the store for some extra steps.  I made myself a BLT for lunch and watched some TV.  I noticed the spider was gone from the screen.

John came home from work and he wanted to mow the lawn.  He changed his clothes and headed for the back sliding glass door.  "Before you open that door, look around for a spider on the inside of the screen" I said explaining what I saw this morning.  "It was the size of a half doller, you won't miss it if you see it" I said as he was looking for it.  I didn't bother to show him this picture.  "I found it" he said as he pointed to the spider by the handle of the screen door.

John asked for a couple of paper towels and squished it.  "Please don't throw it in the trash" I asked (just in case it wasn't dead).  He grabbed the flyswatter and the crumpled paper towel and headed into the backyard, shaking his head at me.  With the flyswatter, John scraped the remains off the paper towel into the woods.  I still don't like spiders.

Hope your summer started out better than mine did.

4 comments:

HappyK said...

I'm not that crazy about spiders either but I don't mind squashing them. I usually use a tissue and then flush them town the toilet!

Retired Knitter said...

Oh, no. I can't abide spiders either. They are history when I see them. Out comes my shoe and squish! They are a smear - and the toilet for them.

Cheryl said...

Yuck to spiders too. I don't like it, but I do kill them. Right now I'm dealing with ants. So frustrating, but I'm going to get them!

Debbie said...

I am the same way with spiders , heck , all bugs! I usually have one of my kids come and kill it for me , I'm such a baby! I had a spider on my counter one day and i took a glass and quickly put it over it. it stayed that way till my husband got home from work. lol