Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Spring is Back

This is a update on the weekend, it is a bit lengthy (some may say boring), three days in the life of this Newfie.  I had a lazy day Saturday.  Actually, John started it, I followed his lead.  You know, one of those days where you just don't feel like doing anything but sitting on your rear end either in front of the computer or the TV.  My Saturday was spent in front of both.  We have a TV in the kitchen where my laptop is.  I enjoyed my "day off" of doing nothing.  We did have some afternoon showers, I was thankful for so my tomatoes got some water that wasn't from the hose.

Sunday, I felt guilty, needed to accomplish something.  I got my walk in.  Actually, I was very proud of myself, I went to the end of my street and back again.  I'll have to measure the distance sometime.  It was a 25 minute walk.  I went early 9:30am, it was hot and humid and only going to get hotter, expected to hit 90 degrees, although afternoon showers were forecasted.  The showers are expected to bring down the temps and humidity for awhile.  You can tell it is starting to get hot.


Some observations from Sunday's walk.  For some reason, we must be on the dump your stuff on our street route.  Like I said, it is a good long street, homes on both sides.  Great opportunity for the peddlers to peddle their wares.  Here's is a sign of the newspaper peddler.  This is one driveway.  It is constant here.  We don't subscribe to any newspaper, yet we're picking up at least 3-5 newspapers from our driveway a week.  We've called and asked to stop delivery.  They take my name, address and continue to dump their ware.


This was an unusual flower in a yard I passed.  I looked it up on the internet (and asked my cousin who is well versed in most plantings), the closest I came to identifying this is called Silverbells.  If you know what it is, please let me know. 


Walked past the park near the end of our street.  The park has several baseball fields (shown in the 4th picture of this previous blog).  On the weekends and evenings they are used by the county leagues of children who have been enrolled by parents looking to keep their kids busy and out of trouble.  Remember the song Sign Sign Everywhere a Sign?  I thought of that song when I took this picture..."Do this, don't do that".



I got the laundry and bedding washed, always nice to have clean cool sheets in hot weather.  The sky started to darken shortly near 5pm.  We had planned to grill out.  I had gone to the Bloom and picked up some beautiful sirloin steaks.  I hope the rain doesn't cancel our grilling.


Finally, the rain stopped and the sun came back out about 6:30pm.  It was quite the nasty storm, lots of thunder and lightening.  We didn't lose power thankfully, many people did.  John got the grill fired up and the steaks on.  They were delicious!


Today is truly a gift, the weather is absolutely gorgeous, like a Spring day in April.  Low temps and low humidity.  Instead of a cup or two of coffee, which is all I've been having before my morning (heat and humidity) walks, today I drank the whole pot and watched the Today Show including Kathy Lee & Hoda.  I didn't get out walking until 11:10am.  The temperature was perfect!



Again, I went to the end of the street and back, this time it took me 28 minutes instead of 25.  Admittedly, today I walked a bit slower to enjoy the lovely day and what a nice breeze too!  Tomorrow is expected the same.  I have the interview tomorrow at 11am.  I'm glad the weather will be great and not humid.  I did do a quick drive on Sunday before I hit the Bloom for the steaks.  It was four miles, what an excellent commute!  I checked the company's website.  Posted was office hours of 9am-5pm...humm, I wonder if they work a 35 hour work week?

Back to my walk.  Another sign that I never noticed before.  I thought it odd since our street is not a highway and that it was adopted.


I had to walk around this tree.  It looks like more tree damage from last winter when we had a heavy wet snow that killed many of trees and plants.  I think this one should have the limb trimmed at least.  I wonder if the car wasn't parked there, would someone driving hit this tree branch?


I noticed this bag on the ground around almost all the driveways I walked past.  When I got home, I looked to see if there was a bag near our driveway.  I did find one tossed off to the side, near the lamp post, which is about 10 feet from our driveway.  Another peddler is using a bag of small stones to print his marketing message to have street numbers painted on the curb (at owner's expense, of course).  I showed John when he got home, he said he'd seen it before.  It was a first for me, I thought it was pretty clever.


I did some interview practicing in the mirror again, which I do before each interview.  I practice facial expressions and posture.  Sounds kinda goofy, people notice body language.  I went back to the website to refresh my memory about the business.  They asked I arrive a little early to fill out an application.  I used to think if I didn't tell anyone about my interviews it would save me the humiliation of notifying people I didn't get the job.  Now, I've decided telling people motivates me more to put research, practice and effort into the interview process knowing I did all that I could to try to get that job.  I hope it works this time.

3 comments:

Vee said...

All you can do is all you can do. The rest is up to someone else. Still pulling for you to land the job of your dreams. One that you'll really enjoy.

It was cold and rainy here. I was so cold yesterday that I shivered all day and finally turned on the furnace. That's outrageous in June.

I'd hate picking up all that trash in my yard, but I'd do it because I like things neat and tidy. It's just a shame that you have to.

Never say that your post is going to be boring. You'll scare folks away. Assume that it's going to be very interesting and it will be.

Thanks for all your supportive comments in my corner. Much appreciated...

HappyK said...

Loving this weather. Great walking weather.
Good luck on your job interview. I'll be sitting outside knitting while you are on your interview. I'll be thinking about you! : )

Retired Knitter said...

You know, I believe that have lazy days, days when you don't want to do anything, just whatever crosses your path, are a reaction to having a lot of days that are full and structured ... productive but busy.

I think having those lazy days are normal.