Pages

Monday, June 06, 2011

Catching Up

You know summer is here when things start getting busy, right?  Remember I planted my tomatoes on Friday?  I had too many and couldn't get them all in the garden area.  When John got home, I told him I had 8 singles left (2 pkgs of 4).  I wanted to put them in the topsy-turvey.  Unfortunately, where the new grill now lives, is the opposite side of the lattice from where the topsy-turvey would hang, which the where the hose would access for watering.  Sooooo, the topsy-turvey is out.  John suggested I plant the remainder of the tomato plants in one of my many containers.  I don't like putting tomatoes in containers, it is easy access for all the critters.  I planted the remaining eight tomatoes in the container in the garden, we'll see if they make it.



Backing up, this took some preparation.  We had to go to Home Depot on Saturday to get more vegetable potting soil.  While there, we also picked up the tomato cages. 



We grilled steaks again Saturday night.  We didn't eat outside.  There have been some nats that arrived about a week ago with the last heat wave, they haven't left.  They are very, very, tiny.  When I took off my sunglasses tonight after watering the tomatoes.  I found a dead bug in my eyelash, ewww!

Sunday, we didn't do much of anything, some laundry and relaxed, watched some TV.  I let John have his couch time, he gets up every day for work at 3:45am.  He's usually at his desk by 5:30am.  It's the traffic in this area, you either go early or go late.  If you try and go anywhere from 6am to 10am (Monday-Friday), you will do better walking than driving.  Same thing in the afternoons, traffic starts at 3pm and goes usually until about 7pm.  They built thousands of housing subdivisions around the Beltway.  They forgot to build the roads to support the people in those subdivisions.

I took a walk around the yard to see what is new.  Some excitement, some disappointment.  Let's get the disappointment out of the way first.  We have some Day Lilies planted by the shed, a pine tree and on the side of our house.  I put down the Deer Scram the beginning of April when the daffodils starting coming up.  It was suppose to last for 60 days, guess my time was up.  The deer started feasting on the day lilies by the shed, can you see the nubs instead of buds?


Here are the Day Lilies on the side of the house, they're in full bloom.  I quickly spread more Deer Scram around the Day Lilies and Hostas.  I just have to remember I'll need to spread more by August 1st.


Here are the Day Lilies around the pine tree that I hope bloom.  The deer got to one side and chomped a bunch of buds off.



The (red) Stargazer Lily sprouted another bloom.  The one in the garden also popped, it is a pink Stargazer.  Both still have a couple of blooms left to open.




I forgot to mention, today I went to the new Shoppers Food Warehouse.  It's not new really, just new to me.  The store that was closest to me is closing.  The shelves were almost bare the last time I was there.  Here's the new one, it is much larger and offers a deli and a huge produce section.  I may start shopping here instead of the Bloom.  I'll have to some price comparison first.


I didn't find Rice Krispie Treats for John's lunch.  When I was checking out, the cashier asked "did you find everything okay?"  "No, I couldn't find the Rice Krispie Treats" I responded.  She turned to the guy at the end of the lane wearing a yellow "Shoppers" vest and asked him.  He looked at me at said "Aisle 8, half way down, left side."  Since I had two people behind me checking out and the cashier just totaled my purchase, I said I had to make a stop at Safeway, I'd pick them up there.  I thought the guy might offer to go get them for me....he didn't say a word.  Earlier, when I was in the produce section, I asked the clerk who was restocking if they had any raspberries.  He said the truck had not yet arrived.  I knew Safeway was having a 2fer sale, I got 2 packages for $3.99 there.  Strawberries were on sale too, got some!  Something about berries and summertime, they go together for me.

I didn't get my walk in today.  After I got home unloaded and put away the groceries, I made myself a salad for lunch and watched the news.  I decided I'd better get out in the garden before it got any warmer.  I worked up a good sweat planting the remaining tomatoes in the container.  Once I finished planting and watering, it was about time for John to come home.  I needed air conditioning!  Starting Wednesday, temps are heading back into the 90s until Saturday, that's just too hot for me.

It is just after 10pm.  I had to wait for maintenance to be finished tonight before I could upload my pictures, a bit of a delay.  My pedometer is at 6274 steps for the day, probably finish the night just under 7000 steps for the day, not bad for a day without a walk.  Although, all the steps all day counted, the tip is to keep moving.

Thanks for joining me, I enjoyed having you along.  Look forward to your next visit.

2 comments:

HappyK said...

I've given up planting tomatoes. I tried planting them in a pot last year on the deck and only had one little tomato. Years ago I made raised gardens and that is the only time I had any luck with tomatoes. Then we had huge 1 pound ones.

That is quite early for John to have to get up!!
When we lived in Dale City and Ken was in the Navy and worked in DC, I remember him getting up real early to get a head start on the traffic too. I'm sure it is MUCH worse now!!

Retired Knitter said...

You have such beautiful plantings. I don't have any flowering plants. Looking at yours I am thinking I should plant some. Hmmm .... It is only June. I could do it.