Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Turn Off The Heat

I hate sounding like a broken record, but this heat is getting ridiculous.  Another record breaker today.  We hit 96 degrees with a heat index of 106 degrees.  This is extreme heat.  If you are not at the beach or near a pool, you'd better be inside with the air conditioning running.  The forecast is for one more day - sort of.  Thunderstorms expected tomorrow afternoon, dropping us from the 90s to an expected 88 on Thursday.  Friday, back up to the 90s again through the weekend.  I hope we get back to the 80s and drop the humidity a bit, this is unbearable.

Little bit of good news....I lost 5 pounds during the month of May!  I started my walking program on May 1st.  I've changed what I eat.  I'm now eating mostly chicken and pork.  Any beef I eat is a lean cut and hamburger is always 93/7.  Even the hot dog I had at the cookout was Hebrew National's Fat Free.  I've also switched to whole wheat, whole grain and brown rice.  My snacks are mostly fruit or the fruit salad I make.  I drink one Brita container per day, it's two gallons.  I've given up Diet Coke.


I believe I mentioned John was off today also.  It was 84 degrees at 10am.  Guess what John spent the morning doing?


While he was doing that, I took a quick walk around the yard to see what has popped up.  Here's a couple of buds and flowers.  The Azalea in the background still has a flower on it.


I've forgotten what this is called.  When it blooms, it has a lovely purple flower on it.


This keeps getting bigger every year, I love it!!


The Stargazer Lilly will be popping any day now, I just know it!


All in all, the yard is coming along.  Thankfully with the thunderstorms expected tomorrow, we won't be hauling out the hose to water everything.  I've done that twice since the weather has warmed it, not fun.  Here's a picture from the woods looking at the back yard and house.  The hedges still need trimming, best we hold off until fall now so we don't damage the Azaleas.


We talked this morning about going to the county dump to get rid of the old grill.  John had to prep it first, make sure all the lost pieces and anything flammable was removed.  Notice the knobs have been removed and all the grates.  Basically, make sure it was stripped, of course, I helped.


Off to the dump we go.  Waiting in line, we finally make our way to the booth.  The lady informed us that as long as we are residents of the county, we could throw the grill in the metal scrap heap, no charge.  John was happy.



After adding to the pile, we headed out to Home Depot.  John keeps a couple of toilet repair kits on hand at all times.  We used our last one last week with a running toilet, we needed to restock.


We forgot to take our lawn debris to the dump.  The county picks up once a week on Wednesdays as long as the yard debris is in clear plastic bags.  Here are the grass clippings and the ripped out rose bushes that we took to the curb for tomorrow's pickup.


All in all, it was a productive day.  We forgot to get the soil for the tomatoes.  I'll run up to Lowe's this week and get a bag.  I hope to plant the tomato plants on Thursday, if it cools off.

Not exactly a thrill a minute, but that was my day in pictures.  Thanks for stopping in to visit, good to have you, hope your day was a good one too.

2 comments:

HappyK said...

I remember going to the dump in the old days when they let you walk around and bring anything home that you wanted. It was the first recycling. : )
Good going on the weight loss! I've gained your 5 pounds!! Not to worry though. I'll work on taking it off. No ice cream and cake for a while!

Retired Knitter said...

Wow that was a busy day. I am very impressed with your weight loss and your diet changes. Good going. I am attempting to do the same thing. In 11 months I am going to be the mother of the groom, pictures will be taken, I will be svelt (well, maybe I will just look alittle better), I will need to dress up, I will be paniced - I am paniced LOL!!!

Anyway, I am looking at making changes too. And of course I will blog about them. Hope I have successes to tell.