Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Murphy's Law

Everyone has a bad day, what I refer to as a "Murphy's Law Day" where nothing seems to go right.  It continued as I tried to log on to Blogger tonight to write and post this blog.  I checked the Blogger Status, which reflects a statement that they are looking into issues and concerns about log in and posting comments.

Let me back up a little bit.  My best friend, Colleen, who lives in Annapolis, Maryland (about an hour and half away) has been on vacation for two weeks.  I didn't know she was on vacation, she was no longer responding to my emails.  After about a week, I called her home and got her machine and left a message.  I was able to reach her sister last Sunday who told me she was on vacation, which was a huge relief.  You know how we always think the worst when we don't know?  Colleen returned home yesterday and got my message and called.  Her and her husband had a wonderful time driving the East Coast from Maryland to Florida.  I was happy she was safe and had a great time.

In our conversation last night, Colleen mentioned that they were bringing their car to my area to get some maintenance work done.  Apparently, they bought the car here and get a discount for bringing it back to this dealership for repairs.  I asked her to give me a call after they got to the dealership and we could meet up.  I knew they would be at the dealership early, 7am she said.  It was raining most of the morning here.  In this area where there are almost 6 million people, this area is #2 in the country for bad traffic (LA is #1).  Add rain to that mix and you've got a whole lot of frustrated people.

Initially, I planned to shower first thing and get online to do more job hunting.  I don't normally set the clock these days unless I have an interview.  I woke up at 7am.  I figured Colleen was probably at the dealership, I would hear from her soon.  Fearing I would be in the shower if she called, I decided to wait to shower until I heard from her.  I made some coffee, turned on the computer and printer and proceeded with my job hunting.  Good news, I applied to six more jobs today!

The coffee pot beeped for it's auto shutoff after 4 hours, yikes, it was 11:15am!!  Where did the morning go?  I'm still sitting in my nightgown too.  I normally take my walk in the mornings.  I hadn't heard from Colleen yet.  I decided I needed to defrost something for dinner, something easy - tacos!  Looking for ground beef, I had forgotten the beef at the grocery store last week was all more that 93% fat.  All I buy is 93/7 ground beef, nothing else.  Another trip to the grocery store.  I had changed into clothes, brushed my teeth and put my hair in its daily ponytail.  Still no call from Colleen.  She had just got her first cellphone, present from her hubby, she didn't know the number she said the night before (hence, we set it up for her to call me).  I called her home and got her machine.  I told her that I hoped everything was okay.  I was a bit worried since I hadn't heard from her.  I let her know I was running some errands and to leave a message on my home phone or try me on my cell.  When I returned home, the message light was blinking, it was Colleen.

I could tell from her voice, she was having a Murphy's Law morning too.  Her message said that they were delayed getting to the dealership in traffic with it raining this morning.  There were some problems with the repair and by the time they finally got their car back, they just wanted to head home, they were tired and frustrated.  I certainly understood.  She apologized for not calling, she said she had forgot, getting caught up in the problems with the car repair. 

It was 1:15pm when I got home from my errands, including 93% ground beef!  It was 85 degrees and humid, forget the walk.  I checked my pedometer, I had steps that would add up to what my day would be if I had a 15 minute walk.  Vee, you asked about my steps.  I put the pedometer on in the morning and keep it attached to my waist all day (it has a clip to attach to waistband).  The pedometer measures how many steps I take each day, no matter what I do. 

I had some fruit salad for lunch, and I put some things away from shopping, then took a shower.  I checked the TV to see what was on and caught a daughter's drug intervention on Dr. Phil.  That was kinda interesting (Part 2 tomorrow :)  I also caught the 2nd day of Oprah's farewell show, I just cried.

I did manage to take a picture of the bird in the nest.


When John came home, he wanted to check the nest.  He grabbed a ladder and has one of those mirrors like dentist do, a flip type mirror.  John discovered there were no eggs in the nest.  That explains why I just noticed the nest yesterday.  I was wondering why I hadn't noticed it sooner.  John wanted the nest removed since there were no eggs.  He didn't want bird poop all over the front porch, not to mention the inconvenience of not using the porch fan this summer for little birdies.  He had me hold a trash bag close to the fan while he used a paint scraper to scrape the nest off the fan and into the bag, plop it went into the bag.  To keep the bird from returning, he turned on the fan so it would spin.  See, no more nest.


Since I was out, I took a quick walk around the yard.  The Peonies are not popping like they usually do.  I'm disappointed they didn't flower better this year.  Some appear to be dying before they bloom.


The Lillies look like they are starting to bud.  Looks like I'll get some flowers out of them in the next few weeks.  Woohoo, some good news today!



I don't have a Murphy's Law day often, but when it happens, sometimes it can really play havoc.  All in all, today wasn't that bad.  I hope you've had yours.  Thanks for joining me, look forward to seeing you again soon.

1 comment:

HappyK said...

Ah, too bad about the nest.
Hope you have a day that everything run smoothly.