Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Turn Off The Furnace

The heat and  humidity of the summer is back, it is suppose to only get worse.  This area is expecting increasing temperatures from low 90s to near 100 by week's end.  It feels like a furnace.  I thought of this returning from my trip to the grocery store this morning.  It was 10:30am and 85 degrees already.
As a child, my parents would yell at us kids to remember to do things like close the refrigerator door, pick up  your clothes, or close the door.  They used such phrases "are you expecting to find something different in the refrigerator each time you open it today?" or "pick up your clothes or they'll be thrown away." and "the air conditioning is on, close the door, are you trying to cool off the outside?"

Today, if keeping the door open with the air conditioning on would cool the outside, I would have left the doors open all day long.  Unfortunately, nothing is going to cool us off for awhile.  We are under Air Quality Alerts all week, all children and adults with breathing problems should stay inside including the elderly.  We're "in the soup" as they say.

I got the grocery shopping done and unpacked, sweating of course.  I turned on the fan I keep in the kitchen to circulate the air quicker than the ceiling fan does.  I drank enough water today to "float a battleship".  I'm getting my daily steps on my pedometer just going back and forth to the bathroom!

I bought more cherries since they were on sale ($1.99/pound).  I'm keep checking for raspberries to go on special, they're my favorite.  I did pick up some blueberries, they were 2 pints for $5.  I bought only a pint, I can't eat two pints before the berries might go bad.   Skinny Cow (distributes diet ice cream) is now selling sweets.  I bought something similar to a Kit-Kat candy bar containing 110 calories in each bar with six bars to a box at $2.49 box, overpriced - they're not all that, I had to try them.  I can now check that off the list.
I received notification from the job interview last Tuesday in Manassas, Virginia.  The email was titled "Notification of Non-Selection".  I almost didn't want to read it, the title said it all.  What I wouldn't give to be 25 years younger and 100 pounds lighter looking for a job.  I'm sure it would be easier to get a job at 30 years old than 55 years old and not overweight.  It just wasn't meant to be, another disappointment.

This is an unusual post for me, it is without pictures.  I only went to the Bloom grocery store, nothing really noteworthy.  I did water my tomatoes this morning before heading out.  With the extreme heat this week, I want to be sure they get enough to drink too.  I brought the trash can it from the street, they did manage to put the can on the curb instead of the street.  I suppose I should have taken a picture of that, it is rare.

If you are in one of the 23 states in the severe heat, stay cool!

2 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

The heat has been wearing that is for sure.

I have a treadmill, which I hate walking on, but better than dropping from heat exhaustion outside. I also have a Weight Watchers work out DVD called Punch. Might blog about that when I get my camera back.

HappyK said...

Ah sorry about the job. Like you said it just wasn't meant to be.