Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Staying Cool

It's all about staying cool, so I decided to stay home inside all day today.  We're at day 36 of 90+ degree temperatures this year.  Forecast is 101 Thursday, 100 on Friday and 99 on Saturday.  Let's see if they get it right.  I certainly wish I had access to a swimming pool or one in my backyard.  I wanted to buy one of those four foot around and 12 inches deep plastic ones in Walmart for 19.99.  John said no, it would attract bugs, ugh!

I had a four legged visitor this morning.  Mystery picture, can you see it?


There was enough to do today to keep me busy today indoors anyway.  I made it through those pile of papers and envelopes in our "office".  The place where paper seems to have babies.  Every time someone stopped by, we'd picked up the latest pile of junk mail and moved it to the office to be sorted later.  I'm trying to be mindful to sort incoming mail the moment it comes out of the mailbox (destroying the junk mail).  I seem to hang onto coupons that come in the mail, which I never use and have to toss them six months after expiration.

I did apply to one job today for an HR Administrator.  I noticed the jobs listings are getting fewer and fewer, not a good economic sign.  I have my resume posted on Monster.com ONLY.  Today, I received a telephone call from "JD" who saw my resume posted on CareerBuilder (another internet job board).  Red flags went off, he named the wrong job board for the posting of my resume.  He asked if I was interested in an "opportunity" from AFLAC.  After a few questions, the job involved cold calling to sell AFLAC.  Ummm, NO.  I'm not a sales person, I can't sell, I don't have the personality to be pushy.  I'd starve if I had to work on commission.  This is problem when having a resume posted for "anyone" to see.

I pumped up my new exercise ball.  The other one I have is too small.  I'm 5'4 and the 55cm ball was for anyone 4'9" to 5'4", and the 65cm ball was for anyone 5'4" to 5'10".  The difference is incredible.  I did some exercises with the new ball, which is much easier to do on a larger ball.  The new ball is also weighted to where it always returns to the same position to enable the perfect start point.  Notice the red dotted lines on the lower left side of the box indicating what I'm trying to describe.


It also comes with an instruction booklet.  The smaller ball had a DVD which I'm using as well.


The Red Dot is where the weight is inside the ball.  I have it braced to take the picture of the weighted side.  Normally, the weighted side faces the floor.


I tried a Skinny Cow candy bar I bought yesterday.  It DOES taste like a Kit Kat bar (crisp/crunchy).  I bought the Peanut Butter flavor.  It's pretty good for 110 calories (6g Fat, 75g Sodium, 14g Carbs, and 8g Sugar).  Although, for $2.49 box (of 6), they should put 12 in a box, they'd sell more.  At that price, I doubt I'll buy more.  I'll spend money on fruit instead.  If you think you might want to try them, they're in the "candy aisle" of the grocery store (if they carry them that is).


During this intense heatwave that arrived yesterday, I'm making sure the tomatoes stay nice and moist.  They're coming along very well.  Can't wait until they change from green to orange!





Doing pretty good for only being planted June 3rd.  They should be ready in just a few short weeks.

Hope you are finding your way to stay cool.  Remember to hydrate, drink water and often!  I'm getting my exercise too by going back and forth to the bathroom from staying hydrated.

5 comments:

Julie D said...

Thanks for your kind words and poem about my mom.

My ex's family is from St John's so I've been to Newfoundland and dearly loved it! Would go back tomorrow if I could!!!

Vee said...

Right. Exercise going to the loo. Ha! Me, too. Yup, that's about all the exercise I get around here these days. I am enjoying watermelon and cantaloupe. It's my candy and it only takes a small chunk or two to satisfy. I chunk mine all up so it's ready for a quick snack at all times.

Hope that you made a granny square. That'll keep you cool.

Retired Knitter said...

Those tomatoes are growing so fast. Remarkable.

I am also doing some in house (in air conditioning) exercises. Weight Watchers has a video and weight gloves set called Punch! And I have my treadmill.

I wish I could walk outside first thing in the morning like HappyOne, but my body is not set for such activity so early in the morning.

HappyK said...

Looks like a cat paid you a visit.
Those tomatoes are coming along nicely. There is nothing like home grown tomatoes.

Noofy said...

Yes, it was a cat Happyone! I tried to catch it going across the deck, he as just too fast.