Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Into The Fire

As the saying goes "from the frying pan into the fire" is what this heatwave is feeling like here.  Each day it seems to get hotter. 

I got out for awhile on Wednesday to get my nails done.  Morgan, who does my nails, had just returned from her first trip to Virginia Beach with her family.  Her parents are visiting from Korea.  This was her parents second visit to the United States.  Morgan is married and a mother of two.  Morgan's sister, Vivian (who also works at the nail salon), is married with two children also went to the beach with the family.  Morgan was so cute, she wasn't wearing her watch.  She pointed to her wrist, where her watch would have been "see my tan line" she says with a smile.  "The water was really cold, we used the pool", Morgan informed me.  From what I could gather, they must have stayed in a hotel/motel.  I told Morgan I had forgot she told me she was going on vacation until I called Monday for an appointment.  I was informed Morgan was on vacation until Wednesday.  I'm glad she had a good time with her family.  From what I gather, they don't get to spend much time together as a family (with her parents living in Korea).  Morgan and her sister work six days a week at the salon.


Other than that, I've been sticking in the house, chillin in the air conditioning.  This was the temperature around 9am Wednesday morning.  Note the Heat Index is 84 degrees.


I did have a visitor yesterday, it wasn't Sneaky.  This is a female (no antlers).  We had a stare down, she ran off, I won.


When I turned on the news this morning they said we almost had a record temperature...for the highest low temperature.  The warmest low temperature on this date was 89 degrees.  Apparently, 88 degrees was the lowest temperature we reached this morning.  When I turned on my computer shortly after 9am this morning, it was already, almost 90 degrees.  Notice the Heat Index at 98 degrees.


As the day wore on, it kept getting hotter.  I'm so glad I've been watering the tomatoes each evening.  I can almost hear the sucking the water in.  Once again, we hit triple digits.  Notice the Heat Index is 114 degrees.  Kudos to you Happyone for walking in this soup, even the mornings are miserable!


My cousin in Newfoundland and I stay in touch almost daily via email.  Here's a picture of what is it is like up their way.  ICEBURGS!!  The Titanic sank off the coast of Newfoundland after hitting an iceburg (and that was April 1912).  You think these iceburgs would have melted by July.  My cousin tells me they melt from underneath the water.  The water is still cold.  What is showing above water is only about 1/4 of the iceburg.


Didn't that just cool you off a bit?  With 37 states feeling this heatwave, you're bound to be one of us suffering.  I hope we all get a break soon.  We haven't had rain since John left two weeks ago.
Tomorrow John comes home.  He called tonight and everything wrapped up today.  He wasn't sure initially if things would wind up on time.  He was fearful he may had an extended stay.  I could hear the giddiness in his voice when he called.  I've missed him and can't wait to see him tomorrow afternoon when I pick him up at the airport.

Have a great weekend, try to stay cool.

2 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

This heat wave sure is dangerous. I was out with the dogs for a walk around 4:30 pm today and I had trouble taking a deep breath. It was a terrible feeling.

HappyK said...

We hit an all time record yesterday of 106!!
Enjoy your weekend and try to stay cool. Right now it looks like rain here by me.