As I was leaving SFW, there is an Exxon station straight across the parking lot. Two things caught my attention, I reached for my camera. I quit smoking two years ago (July 6th). At that time, I was buying cigarettes by the carton. I was spending $40-$45 week for a carton of cigarettes. Seems the price hasn't changed. When I was smoking, it seemed the price went up weekly. I also noticed the price of gas at this station is reduced if you get a car wash. I guess you'd have to weigh your options on the car wash, depending on what a fill up costs. Depending on the type of gas, it was about 20 cents off per gallon.
Driving home with a trunk full of groceries, I see the sky darkening. They've been calling for rain (a chance of anyway) for the past four days. We got nothing, nada, zip! Why would I think today was any different?
Heading down my street, droplets appeared on my windshield. I had just backed into the driveway to unload the groceries from the trunk and whoosh, the sky opened up and down came the rain.
Of course, today being Monday, it is our first of two trash days this week (Thursday being the other). You think the trash people would have showed up before I left for the grocery store and it WASN'T RAINING?
We had a nice downpour for about 30 minutes. I was soaked through to my underwear but it felt good. You know when it is really hot and it rains, you feel refreshed? That's how I felt. Everything seemed to slowly turn from brown to green.
Woohoo, no dragging the hose all over the yard tonight!! I was doing a rain dance in the driveway today!
I took a video of the downpour with my new cell phone. I thought I did anyway, but I can't find the recording, oh well. These pictures tell the story. I could hear the (brown) grass sucking up the water.
After I got the groceries unpacked and put away, the rain had stopped. I figured I'd checkout the back yard. I love the smell of the air after a rain, so cleansing. The rain gage showed we got an inch of well needed rain.
As long as I'm outside, I might as well take a peek at the tomatoes. I'm pleased to say they're coming along nicely, don't you think? Notice they've grown over their fencing.
I took a close up picture, see how large the tomatoes are getting? Now, if they would only turn orange!
I haven't been walking in awhile, since this heatwave started (embarrassing). Our Saturday morning Walking Group was cancelled last Saturday due to the heat. A member of the group went to the local mall early that morning on her own to see if the mall doors were open. We have a Blue Law, I think that's what it is called. The stores don't open until after Noon on Sundays. She wasn't sure if the doors would be unlocked, they were! Sara emailed the group, she found several people inside the mall walking, although no stores were open. The air conditioning did activate until 10am, the doors were unlocked at 8am. Apparently, it was still cooler in the mall at 9am when Sara was there checking than it was outside. We have a backup plan now to walk the mall in cases of weather interruptions.
The rain today was brought by a cold front that will only be here two days according the the weather folks. So, today and tomorrow, although temps expected to be in the low 90s, there will be very low humidity, which is tolerable. I plan to make the best of the next two days for walking.
Hope your world has cooled off or warmed up if you're in the Canadian Maritimes where temps are below normal.











2 comments:
Today is quite pleasant after yesterdays rain. We got almost 2 inches.
I've tried walking in the mall - not for me. Boring and it is too flat! I really have a need to be outside and walking. : )
If you need a car wash anyway, then it would be a good idea to save some money on gas. I really enjoy washing my car though! : )
I got stuck in Harris Teeter when the rains came. The sound of the rain hitting the metal roof was deafening. And since I was only getting a few things, I waited in the store lobby with a bunch of other people waiting for the storm to abate some so I could get to my car.
We sure did need that rain.
I have been walking on my treadmill these hot days. Not very satisfying, but I have been watching the Harry Potter movies again.
Post a Comment