Ever have one of those days where you are always on the go? This is the first time I've sat down for any period of time. I've still got a couple of things to do, this will be another short post. I forgot I left the dishwasher full of clean dishes when I went to bed last night, so I unloaded the dishwasher first thing and helped myself to a clean cup of coffee.
While enjoying my coffee, I knew I had a meeting this afternoon with a new walking group so I wouldn't be doing my afternoon walk. I pushed myself and I did it, I did my first 30 minute walk! It really took alot out of me. I know I'm not ready yet to do 30 minutes every day. Telling the truth, my heart was beating out of my chest. I did go early this morning, well, earlier than yesterday morning, I left at 9:30am, after the school buses had picked up all the kids. It was almost 71 degrees on my front porch (shaded) when I headed out.
On the cross street was this huge Azalea bush, the Azalea was a nice bright orange. When I looked at this picture, I don't think you can tell how orange this was. It looks pink here, it really is orange. I'd never seen an orange Azalea before. Isn't it gorgeous?
I came across the Colonial house whose Azaleas were in full bloom across the front of the house, it just looked so pretty, don't you think?
Back home, I couldn't help but admire my own front porch area. Sorry, bragging rights here. Can you believe these monster hostas?
Huffing and puffing, finally home and did it in 30 minutes (yay me)! Here's the temperature at 10:03am, it got warmer too.
I headed out for my new Walking Group. I received an email last night from the organizer, everyone else dropped out. Seems everyone works and couldn't meet during the day. When I met with the organizer today, I told her that it was fine with me if she wanted to change the walks to evenings to get more people. The organizer, Pam, is a certified trainer. She was a customer service representative and decided in a career change. Well, if getting healthier can put me looking like her (about 130 pounds), I'm in!! There was a $25 fee I knew about in advance. It covers the cost of the a book (about half inch thick) with 10 tabs entitled "Stepping Strong" and also a pedometer. This is a ten week walking commitment program, each tab represents a week. Each tab offers goals to set and where you should be each week with those goals. It offers menus and advice, like ten tips for finding walking shoes that fit. They offer various tracking tools for progress in the book. The pedometer measures steps, it does not measure distance walked.
Pam recommended I put the pedometer on when I wake up in the morning and don't take if off until I got to bed when logging my daily steps. The pedometer gives a more accurate count of steps that way. Makes sense, I would want my trips to the grocery store, mailbox, in the yard and all my daily activities to count in steps, not just my walks.
I was also provided a calendar and recommended daily consumption of fruits and veggies. There is alot of good nutrition information. I know, we can get that off the internet, it's nice and handy to have it all in one book. The book also talks about pacing myself when walking and how to determine a step (based on stride). There is also the registration. Since Lifelong Fitness sponsors this program, they want to be sure each individual has the opportunity to record their specific goals.
When I returned home from the meeting, it was too warm 86 degrees to head out, so I opted for housework. I got all my dusting done, that burned some calories too!
Baked chicken and green beans for dinner tonight. Off I go, I'd better get started cooking. You are welcome to stay for dinner, there's plenty!





2 comments:
I wish I could have joined you for dinner. I work till 7 on Tuesday and Friday and don't eat a real dinner. Tonight it was the cottage cheese and pineapple I didn't eat with lunch.
Your new walking program sounds great. The discipline is built in with the book. The pedometer will motivate you.
Your garden looks fabulous. And yes, the houses are the same :)
Good luck with your new walking program - sounds like lots of good advice.
The front of your house looks beautiful with all the plants.
Post a Comment