Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

It's Been Awhile

Thanks for coming back to my blog.  I took a break from blogging, I really didn't have any news or much to talk about.  I took a walk down the end of the block today.  I'm trying to get back to walking again when the weather cooperates.  Unlike my fellow blogger, Happyone, I'm not ready to battle all the weather elements.  She is my inspiration, she's been at it alot longer too.  There is a stream (if you can call it that) which runs behind our yard.  As I mentioned before, our backyard faces the woods.  The stream is just beyond the hill, past our huge Maple tree.  I thought I captured the Maple tree in the first picture, oops.  I'll post one of the Maple later.



As I walked today, I noticed the stream gets much better and further down my street, this is what the stream looks like.


Certainly better explains why so many deer migrate through my backyard and follow the stream to find this watering hole when it is so hot in the summer.  Back to the huge Maple tree....you know that the Maple tree has shallow roots.  When I go to the backyard, I have to be very careful where I walk.  I rarely go near the tree barefoot.   Amazing, don't you think?  Someone could actually hurt themselves if not careful.  These roots take up about 15 square feet.  I took another picture of the tree (the bottom half) so you can get an idea.



Remember the Peonie plant I showed you last month that was coming up (reposted below)?  It's has shot up since then, it will be beautiful when it blooms.  Isn't the growth amazing?



The Azaleas are in bloom too, that rain we had this weekend really made everything pop.


Remember my hostas, just from March 19th (first picture) just after mulching?  Now look at them!



I'm just thrilled and amazed at how much everything has popped.  If you look closely around the gas lamp post, you will see the hostas popping there as well.  I have three planted there.  I used to put in flowers, impatiens and pansies around the lamp post.  It got to be too much dragging the hose out nightly to water everything.  The hostas are very tolerant.  I usually give them the hose in cases of extreme dry spells.


John took the day off from work today.  I was going to ask him for help with the rose bushes but decided better of it.  If he wanted to spend his day off pulling them out, he would have initiated it.  I let him alone, let him enjoy his day doing what he likes to do, putting together puzzles on his computer.  He has a program that downloads puzzles for him.  One of his bowling buddies came over yesterday and they watched the NASCAR race.

For those of you who are local, you know it rained quite a bit here Saturday.  My rain gauge showed just over an inch.  It was also very windy.  Lots of flooding in areas, nothing near us.  On the news I saw that parts of Virginia and North Carolina were hit hard, tornadoes in North Carolina, lives lost, just awful, prayers for the families.

Tomorrow and Wednesday rain is expected.  I'm going to try and get some laundry done and closets changed from summer to winter and maybe pack up and donate some old clothes and stuff.  We'll see how far I get, that's the plan for now, subject to change, of course.  I did get the comforter off the bed and the lightweight quilt put on the bed (used in spring and fall).

I hope I'll have more exciting posts the rest of the week.  Thanks again for visiting, I enjoyed your company, and I look forward to your return.

2 comments:

HappyK said...

Somehow I missed the weather report for rain today. I just got sprinkled on when I walked but it's been a rainy dreary day.
Looks like spring around your yard. Now we just need more sun!!
Nice to see you back and know that all is well with you.

Vee said...

That sounds like a good walking plan. I should try it now that there's no reason not to.