Trying to think of title for this post. Once I typed it, I remembered Saturday Night Live. Back in the day there was a segment on Saturday Night Live called Weekend Update with Jane Curtain and Chevy Chase. Yes, back in the day on Saturday Night Live started for me in the summer of 1974. It's been a long time since I watched Saturday Night Live. Believe it or not, I can't stay up that late anymore. I use to be a night owl until I hit my 50s. Now, sleep is very precious to me. In my 20s I survived without sleep. Who needed sleep? I could party all night, shower, and go to work when the sun came up. Not every night, maybe two nights a week. Ahh, those were the days! In my 30s, I needed maybe four to five hours. In my 40s, I needed at least six hours of sleep to function. Once I hit my 50s, it was the full 8 hours I need to feel human. When I was in my 20s, I worked with a woman who was in her late 40s (then). She said as you get older, you require less sleep. It never worked that way for me, how about you?
I got off track there for a bit, still with me? John is a "let's get it all done during the weekend" kinda guy, there's always a project he wants done. John is also a NASCAR fan and Washington Redskins fanatic (that's more than a fan). Both NASCAR and football are usually televised on Sundays for those who don't follow one or both. The Redskins play Monday night, NASCAR was this afternoon. One of the features he was sure our (new) TV we got last April has was the picture-in-picture feature just for the times when they're scheduled at the same time. He can watch both at the same time on one TV. His world is wonderful, right?
I know when the weekend rolls around, John has a project for us to do. Before John starts with his grand plans for my help, I let him know I had plans of my own for Saturday morning after the Walking Group. Fairfax County, where we live, offers free shredding events for residents. This Saturday was such an event.
I set my alarm for 6:30am on Friday night in anticipation of the Walking Group, although rain was forecast. There was no posting on the website about meeting at the mall to walk, which they have posted before when rain or extreme heat is expected. It was drizzling again when the alarm went off at 6:30am for the Saturday Morning Walking Group. I shut off the alarm at and rolled over. I got up around 8am and had my coffee and watched the weather to see if the drizzle was going to break.
I still had the shredding event to get to. I keep old bills, pay stubs, invoices, etc in a large box. We have a shredder. However, since I throw everything in the box and have for years, I would probably burn up the motor of the shredder if I decided to shred everything in the box. I decided the shred event was the best bet. I emptied the box into a clean white kitchen size trash bag, threw the bag in the trunk of my car and headed out to the shredding event about 9:30am. The drizzling had stopped. I'd never been to the place where this event was being held, about five miles from my home, but I found it.
When I pulled in, there were five cars ahead of me. They had guys with the yellow reflective jackets wheeling those large recycle bins up to cars where they would dump the documents for shredding into the large recycle bin.
This event was well organized, I was impressed. There were lots of employees from the shredding company there to help people who needed it.
Heading back home after making my shred deposit, I see another sign in the medium strip. Getting closer, I see the County Fall Festival is next weekend. I would love to go, but it means battling the crowds. I find as I get older, I don't like crowds much. I know John wouldn't want to go. Years ago, we use to battle the crowds and spend too much money on junk we didn't need. In this economy, with me not working, probably best we stay home anyway.
I arrived back home about 10am. John wants to visit his Mom (that means I go too). She took a nasty fall about 10 days ago at her house. She has a multi-level deck and she missed a step going down the stairs. She went down on her knees, stomach, hands, and hit the side of her face on a lawn chair. She is 78 years old. We wanted to take her to the doctor, she wouldn't go. She said nothing was broken, she could walk, everything moved, just a bit slower. Her legs, hands and face were badly bruised and swollen. We asked if there was anything she needed, anything we could pick up before we headed over. She said John's brother, Mark, had been by one day this week after work and picked up everything she wanted. We visited for a couple of hours.
Back home again about 2:30, the sky was darkening again, threatening rain, John had hoped to get the lawn mowed. It was about 4pm when the sun poked out a bit. He felt this was his opportunity. The forecast was chance of rain through next Wednesday. He went for it and paid for it. John has a touch of arthritis in his legs. When it rains or there's a chance of rain, he is in pain with his legs. He got the lawn mowed, it never rained Saturday afternoon. Today was miserable for him, it was overcast again with an 80% chance of rain today. It rained this morning, nothing after that. He sat on the couch in front of the TV most of the day telling me how bad his left leg hurts. I hope this rain and chance of rain moves out soon, we're going on ten days of rain and drizzle, eight inches of rain so far this month.
Oh the message I left for the mortgage company to call me back...as I guessed, they never called. I called again on Friday and got a human. "Jade" confirmed our fax was received. So, as far was we know, they have all the paperwork they've asked for. What we need to know is how much money we'll need at closing next Friday. They still don't have that number as of Friday (closing is next Friday, 9/30). My mission this week is to call and get the answer to that question. I have two other missions. Inquire as to the cost of First Alert or similar system for his mother. If she falls again, she can call for help since she lives alone. Also, she has a ranch home with a basement. Her laundry room is in the basement. She is willing to have a chair glide installed for her safety instead of using the stairs. I must inquire as to installation, cost, etc. I'm all ears on suggestions!




7 comments:
John's mom sounds like a pretty resilient,woman...that's a good thing, those are the ones that manage to live alone a good, long time. I'm sorry she hurt herself in the fall - a stair-chair would certainly help with that...how would she get the laundry up and down, though? Is it possible to move the laundry room upstairs?
I hope your week is a good one - they just fly right on by, don't they?
Hugs, friend. "_
Good morning!
Both of my parents have a Life Alert necklace. You can push the button for help plus it detects falls and calls you to see if you need help. It's a great thing.
I wonder if I can mow today or if it's going to rain. I want some sunshine!
I've always had sleep problems and wake up way too early every day. If I wake up in the morning, I never fall back asleep, no matter the time. I hate that. I tell myself I don't need the sleep. I'm always OK, thank goodness.
Hope you hear from the mortgage company today. Happy Monday.
With regards to the stair glide. We have one from the company Acorn. It is an excellent chair glide. Make sure you get one that has battery charge that lasts awhile. The one we have says it will hold it charge for 3 days.
These things are very expensive. Mom bought the one for our house about 2 years ago. AT that time it was $4,200. The cost is directly related to the amount of steel they use - an expensive product. But I would recommend going with a reliable product - not going with the cheapest you can find. No point in spending even $1500 only to find that it doesn't perform well or doesn't have long life. Your mother in law is in her 70s so she probably has many years ahead of her. If she plans to stay in her home, she should have a chair that will last and that can be serviced and supported by a well known company. Acorn was very easy to work with. They come out once for a "tune up" - $150, but that was at my request, not because there was a problem. All mechanical things required periodic maintance so that they don't fail at inopportune times.
Of course, another option is to find a way to move the washer and drier up into the main house.
Thank you ladies for your comments and suggestions, great input, I truly appreciate it.
Jamie - MIL fell OUTSIDE her home on her multi-level deck. Her legs are giving out on her that caused her fall. The concern is her laundry facilities are in her basement. The chair glide would enable her to continue to do her laundry in her home and remain somewhat functional. She would have to keep the basket on her lap while she rides the chair up or down over the stairs instead of using the stairs risking another possible fall (indoors). She will not be on the deck again without someone with her, she promised.
Cheryl - Thanks for the Life Alert recommendation, I'll certainly check them out. We are wondering about the fee, is it one time, monthly, annual? Is there a charge for the equipment? I'll find out when I contact them.
RK - great info, thanks so much! There's no better recommendation than that from someone trusted. We had nothing to go on. We're aware of the expense. MIL is paying for the cost, which is believed to be cheaper than any hospital visit should she take another tumble. I think this fall scared her, I know it hurt her badly.
I'm sorry that John's mom fell. That must be scary for him and his brother and you to think of her getting hurt. I don't know a thing about the medic alert nor a chair glide, but they both sound, in theory, like great ideas.
As a fellow arthritis sufferer, I understand the bad weather and the aching. Ai yi yi. Thank goodness for Tylenol arthritis.
Oh I wish that my community would have a shredding event. I've begged my hubby to just have a bonfire because I don't want to spend a week shredding it all. It's just too much.
Sorry to hear John's mom fell.
I'm the opposite of you. When I was young I needed more sleep than now. I only need about 6 and a half hours now. I have loads of energy - must be from all that walking. : )
I love to shred and do it often!!
I like walking around town fairs. Don't usually buy anything but enjoy the walk.
I'm a bit late to read and comment but I made it! I only wanted to offer a word of caution. I worked in the emergency room for quite a few years and often times when the elderly fell, they would refuse to go to a physician to be checked out. There were several of those times when back and necks were fractured. Just a word of caution, better to be safe and have her checked out than take her word for being o.k. You never know what's going on in there.
I hope you are getting the sunshine now. We had a sun day today after a week of rain and overcast grey skies. I truly dislike them. It is amazing how the sun can boost one's spirits.
I will have to check into the free shred event and see if one is offered here. I could use one. I have a bag full of mail that needs to be shredded/burned.
Hope all is well in your world.
Blessed be Noofy!
Post a Comment