I am very fortunate that John is talented in the areas of fixing things, improving things, and building things. I am not so fortunate when there's a project he wants to tackle. You see, I am his assistant. Today's project is installing new sensor lights on our garage. Sensor lights allow lights to come on when tripped by a sensor. One set will light the side of the garage (nearest the woods - I'm sure the deer love them), the other set will light the driveway. John upgraded the ones we had because one of the two sets of sensor lights had a socket that didn't work. He replaced the bulb and the light still didn't work. It's been out about two weeks. He went off to Lowe's and bought the newest, best, most expensive upgrade the LED, which is suppose to save us $50 annually on our electric bill according to the advertisement on their box. I didn't get the price, I was told they are "expensive". John has a small area built into our garage he keeps his tools. It is packed, top to bottom.
We started out about 11am. John had taken down the old lights. According to John, he had hoped that it would be a matter of just replacing the old with the new. Nothing goes that easy right? He had to install a new base, which required measuring, moving, drilling, and screwing. About 12:30pm, this is what had been accomplished.
Keep in mind we had another humid day here (75% humidity) and it was in the mid 80s. John was on the ladder, my job was to hand him the drill, screws, hammer, etc. About 4:05, after some sawing into the soffit to make sure the bracket and base fit, we were finished. All that was left was the test to make sure they worked. Taadaa!
I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, the test is the most important part, right? Here's what they look like off.
The flooding reflected in my pictures in yesterday's blog has subsided. Here's the ditch behind my house that receded. For easy reference, I'm reposting the flooded picture underneath the current picture taken today.
Here's the ditch that runs behind our house that is normally dry. It has receded also. When it rains, the water runs off into the nearby brook about 100 yards from our house.
Amazing isn't it? Walking by our shed, I spotted this spider hanging near the front doors of the shed (where our lawn mower is kept). I warned John to be careful when he opens it next time. Some spider bites can be terribly painful.
The agenda tomorrow is lawn mowing for John and bathroom cleaning for me. Oh, my Saturday Walking Group was canceled because the Park Authority said the parks had flooded and are currently not in a safe condition. Only three of us were signed up this week anyway. Tomorrow's weather is suppose to remain sunny, I hope to get a walk in. Enjoy your Sunday.










4 comments:
You are so lucky to have someone who is handy. Neither my husband or I are handy. We always have to hire someone. $$$$$
oh my gosh - so much water!! glad to see that it has receded!
Gotta love a man who can fix anything, but I totally understand the assisting bit. You're not complaining, but I would have been. (I was assisting for two hours last night while my John worked on his car window, which had decided to not roll up. Oh for the good old days with a crank.) The lights look great! Maybe they'll deter the deer.
I don't have anyone to help me fix stuff, so I think you're lucky. Except for the helping part, that is. Hopefully you're a good team together!
So much water. My backyard is still soaking wet. How about this cold weather today? What a change.
Post a Comment