I lost a good friend, Jim, to Cancer last Saturday. Jim was 57 years old.
His wife, Jean, and I are both in the same field of work, Human Resources. Jean and I worked our way up from the trenches with no formal training, helping employees and learning as we went along, we often compared notes. When Jean and Jim weren't together, they were talking about each other. Jim was a patriot, a Washington Redskins football fan with season tickets, a fanatic reader - always had a book in hand, a loving husband to Jean and and a dedicated father to son, JD.
Although we didn't stay in touch on a daily basis, we stayed in touch through phone calls and emails and saw each other at least during the the Christmas holidays and birthday parties. I miss you, and I'll see you later my dear friend, rest in peace.
I've been depressed a bit this week since hearing of the passing of my friend. As I mentioned, I attended a funeral six months ago of another good friend, John, who was a Navy Seal. John was 50 years old. John passed to Cancer also. Why am I attending friends funerals every six months? I'm worried, I'm scared.
Earlier in the week, some things I took note of with the camera. I have to document the trash folks when they almost get it right. Here, they got our recycling can back on the curb. This time they didn't leave it as a dodge ball target in the street.
We've had a beautiful week of weather, a bit humid for me, but at least its been sunny after the week of rain we had previously. I'm counting my blessings. Today, it was cold 46 degrees (beyond chilly) when I woke up and the house felt cooler, which I do like. We've got a weekend of yard work planned, John informed me - hedge trimming specifically. The cooler weather is suppose to continue through the weekend. I also have to pull out the tomato plants and winterize the garden. I have a few weekends yet to cut back the plants for the winter. I usually take care of that stuff when the leaves start falling. Our leaves for the most part are still green and on the trees, fine by me. Although, maybe the cooler weather will be changing the leaves, we'll see.
Heading out the door to my car this week, I noticed a mushroom poking up through the brickwork of the front garden and the sidewalk. First time I've seen one around here this large.
I yanked it out and threw it away after taking this picture. If you are local, enjoy the cooler weather like I am. If not, I hope the weather is great where you are, and you are tackling life as it comes.




3 comments:
I'm really sorry to hear about you friends. Cancer is such an awful thing...a stealer of life. Yes, may you friends rest in peace.
The weather is so wonderful today!
It is sad. Both your friends were younger than I. These losses sure make us think about the meaning of life and, yes, about death. The good news is that we don't have to be afraid. We're all meant to live forever and we get to decide where. It sounds as if your friend Jim is safely home. Hope that you get the chance to spend some time with Jean.
I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. I have seen the same thing happen to my mom ... friends passed away and it was such a loss. So far I have lost only one friend and that one was hard enough.
Post a Comment