It's been a wild and crazy 24 hours here. I woke up yesterday to more rain. After four days, it begins to get depressing. I turned on the TV to see reporters showing stupid people who think they can drive through a flood and got stuck. These are especially stupid people who own SUVs and think they can go anywhere. The are also very prevalent in snow storms too. You will spot them immediately stuck in an embankment on the side of a road. They got there doing 40-50mph thinking they could go anywhere in 4-wheel drive. You know them, you've seen them, I hope you aren't them. It poured from the heavens as you can see. It's been raining so long, our lawn is sprouting mushrooms!!!!
Here's the view I had most of yesterday. I just watched the rain gauge fill up on our back deck.
John got home from work and mentioned how awful traffic was, this was about 3:30 in the afternoon. After awhile, John noticed the neighbor walking around in the woods with an umbrella. We quickly saw why, the woods were flooding! That was a first for us. This is what the woods behind our house looked like just beyond our shed (usually where the deer hide).
I zoomed in to get a better view, amazing.
There is about a six inch deep and a foot wide ditch that runs behind our property. When it rains, the ditch fills up and the water streams into the brook about 100 yards down our street. Here's what it looked like yesterday.
The second picture shows how fast the water was moving. It was unbelievable. Without these pictures, I doubt anyone would have believed me. Worst flooding I've seen living in this house.
The rain finally slowed and eventually stopped after 5pm, just in time for rush hour. There must have been accidents on the main road. Our street is normally a cut-through. Speed "humps" were installed two years ago to slow down traffic. The speed limit is normally 25mph, you won't catch anyone doing less than 40mph. They still fly over the speed humps. Between the rain, the accidents, and the our street traffic back up, the folks sitting in traffic on our street were honking their horns. Do people actually think that helps speed things up? We live in a residential neighborhood!
Today, woke up, got my coffee, turned on the news and pulled back the curtains facing the deck, yep....still raining. We're rolling into day number five of Tropical Storm Lee remnants and it's wearing on me. Except for my excursion or should I say adventure on Wednesday to the to drugstore and grocery store, I've been stuck inside all week. Yes, got my chores done. Got some studying done online with my new class, applied to several jobs, bored out of my mind, feel like a trapped animal.
According to the news, if we are to believe the weather folks, the rain is suppose to stop mid-day and the sun is suppose to shine.....I bet there's a little green leprechaun standing at the end of the rainbow with a pot of gold too, right? Here's what 2pm looked like.
Yep, blue sky and sunshine. All's right with the world again. About once every six months, I wash the shower curtain liner in the washing machine with bleach, today was that day. I got all the laundry done too. Obviously, I couldn't throw the shower liner in the dryer. I had intended on hanging it in the garage to dry. Now, with this change in weather, I took it outside and hung it over the patio chairs to dry. It was very humid this afternoon. I checked the rain gauge and emptied it, another inch had fallen since yesterday. All tolled 11 inches in five days, unbelievable....glad it wasn't snow! Other towns around the beltway had more rain than we did, up to fourteen inches of rain reported.
I was about to close the curtains to the back deck this evening when I spotted something. The perfect end to five miserable days. The moon was poking out and it looks to be a full one. This explains all the craziness.










2 comments:
Hurricanes, earthquakes, floods ...
Do you think someone is trying to get our attention???
LOL
My goodness, you certainly do have some craziness going on. I'm glad for that ditch behind your house because that means it's not on your lawn. Always a good idea to have some place for the water to go. Five days of rain does get depressing. It was like that here until yesterday afternoon. Rainy, foggy, gray since last Saturday. It gets old. We can call it "cozy" just so long. I'd never do well in jolly Old England or the Pacific Northwest.
Hope that you have a beautiful weekend and that it somehow compensates for the past week.
(Glad that you didn't blame the SUVs; I love SUVs. ☺)
Post a Comment