Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Imagine That

John took most of last week off from work to burn some of his vacation leave so he didn't lose it (yes, use it or lose it policy).  He is a huge NASCAR fan and was disappointed when Sunday's race had been rained out and postponed until Monday.  John surprised me walking in the door yesterday (Monday) morning at 10:30am.  Part of the reason he's been taking time off now is his work has slowed to a crawl.  He says they barely missed him when he took the remainder of the day off yesterday.  He was happy he saw the race (life) and DVR'd anyway just in case he had not made it home.

We live in a subdivision built by Levitt in 1969 who also built a similar subdivision in Maryland (in 1963), where I called home (before my Mom passed away and we kids sold the house).  This builder also built Levittown in New York during the post WWII late 1940s early 1950s building boom.  A subdivision is perfect for anyone peddling their wares.  John comes across these door knocking peddlers about three times a year, they usually are knocking in the middle of a weekday.  I get them much more often since I'm home during the day.  I don't answer the door, they leave.  About four o'clock yesterday afternoon, there was another peddler knocking at our door.  John insists on dealing with these folks if he home.  He went to the door to find a man peddling windows.  We have insulated double paned windows installed in 2005, which apparently this peddler missed noticing.  "I'd like to talk the homeowner about these Thompson Windows" the guy says to John holding up a brochure.  "I'm the homeowner, and I'm not interested" John says.  "How do you know, I haven't had a chance to explain how these will SAVE YOU MONEY!"  I could hear John getting agitated as he raises his voice "I DON'T BUY DOOR-TO-DOOR, I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE SELLING GOLD!" as he closed the door.  I think the guy got the message, imagine that.  Today, John comes home from work and waves a small sign that he'd stopped off at Lowe's to purchase.  Guess he figures it will do the trick.


Most of you recall I blogged about the mistake on the water bill when it arrived last Friday.  At the time, the County Water Authority agreed to send someone out to (re)read the water meter on Monday.  Yesterday, their truck pulled up in front of our house as I was changing clothes the in the bedroom.  I peered through the blinds to see the water guy lift the cover off the meter and write down the numbers.  He got back in the truck and made a phone call that lasted maybe a minute.  He started writing and got out of the truck with a piece of paper in his hand.  I wasn't about to answer the door, I hadn't finished changing clothes.  It appeared he was going to leave a note, he did.


The notice he left reads "Meter misread, 959 is reading.  No loss on meter."  When John came home, I showed him the note left.  Clearly there was an error in the reading of the meter, and we will receive a revised bill.  "What does No loss on meter mean?" he asks me.  I winged it, "it probably means the water company didn't lose any money, their meter was not malfunctioning."  This must have sounded about right to John, "Oh" he says.

Sunday night was trash night.  I usually clean out the fridge and toss what is bad or will go bad and probably not touched by the next trash day.  I had bought some strawberries last Friday and put them in the fridge.  I had forgotten about them.  I found them, they were still good, no fuzzies.  Yesterday, I rinsed off the strawberries and cut them up and put them in the refrigerator.  Today I ate them all, they were delicious.  I'm going to miss all the fresh fruit we get in the summertime.

3 comments:

HappyK said...

My husband put up a sign at our house too. I said I was okay with a sign as long as it wasn't obscene or anything. It is on a chain across the railing on the steps. It reads.
No Sales
No Solicitors
No Flyers
It has worked well so far!

Retired Knitter said...

I don't think I would buy anything from Thompson. My neighbor says they are very expensive and very pushie.

And the guy who approached - asked about our gutter system and down spouts and wouldn't we like to replace them because they were probably original to the house (our house is 25 years old and we are the original owners).

So I asked this guy, are you talking about this house here, pointing to my house - I was standing outside with my grand- dogs and he said yes.

I promptly told him that we had replace the gutter system and down spouts just 2 weeks ago - he didn't even have the good graces to be embarrassed by his stupidity.

Noofy said...

I hope the sign does work, for John's sake, he doesn't like solicitors. The guy was pretty pushy, which didn't make John any happier. You think these sales people would know enough about their business to realize what homeowners invest in before they try to sell us something we don't need.