Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chores Day

Got the kitchen floor cleaned and the house vacuumed, gave me a good feeling of accomplishment and it needed it.  I kept saying to myself, this kitchen floor needs cleaning!  It got it today.  It's Thursday, you know that means, right?  It is Fetch The Trashcan Day!!  After emptying, the trash folks got it to the curb, just not on the curb.  It's not in the middle of the street, I'll give them two points.


The day started partly sunny (mostly cloudy?), too humid for me to walk, which is why I decided to clean indoors.


Along with the cleaning, I have some other to-do's today.  I bought a soap dispensing unit yesterday at the grocery store, hands free.  I need to put it together or at least, read the instructions and make it work.  I want to make my fruit salad today with some of the fruit I bought yesterday.  When I headed out on the deck to take the picture shown above, I saw this (below), and I just moaned.  It's the first one I've seen, it's another sign summer is coming to an end.


I got the scissors and cut open the heavy plastic that surrounded the soap dispenser.  It took me almost ten minutes to get it opened to get at the instructions.  Thankfully, it wasn't difficult to get the dispenser working.  I removed a red tab from the battery area so it would activate the batteries and inserted the soap container into the top of the dispenser so it would flow through.  Ha, it works, so simple!


The last soap dispenser I had was the pump type.  It kept getting gooked up with soap and dirt.  I pitched in when I purchased the above dispenser.  I hope since this one is "hands free" it will remain "clean free" too.  Now, with a clean dispenser and clean hands, it is time to make the fruit salad.

I cut up three Fuji apples (any kind is fine, I just happen to like Fuji apples).  I let them soak in a bowl of water with lemon juice so the cut up apples don't turn brown.  The apples soaked for about five minutes.  I cheated and bought a can of pineapple chunks instead of fresh pineapple and then having to chop it up.  I got the strainer and dumped the can into the strainer and rinsed the pineapple chunks to get the sugar (syrup?) off.  I pulled out the blueberries, strawberries, and grapes I bought yesterday.  I have a bag of raisins that I use to sprinkle a few in.

Straining the chopped apples from the lemon juice and water, I dumped them into a huge mixing bowl.  I added the pineapple chunks, blueberries, strawberries and grapes.  I sprinkled 1/4 of a bag (maybe 20) raisins in with the fruit.  Back to the fridge for the fat free Cool Whip.  I added the Cool Whip (you may use as much or as little as you'd like, matter of preference).  I recommend start by adding a tablespoon at a time until you find your preference.  I added about 1/4 of a small tub of Cool Whip since I had so much fruit.  Then just stir to mix it all together.  I like my fruit salad very cold.  I found a container large enough hold just about all the fruit salad.  What didn't fit in the container, I ate, delicious!!  Now I have something healthy to eat when I feel like snacking.


I looked at the clock, where does the time go, it was 1:02pm - yes, time for All My Children.  After eating the fruit salad about half an hour earlier, I was still hungry.  I was going to make another salad today.  I have to eat my way through those home-grown tomatoes!  Besides the Dole bag of "Field of Greens" lettuce mix (includes shredded carrots), I added two chopped up slices of ham, snow peas, reduced fat shredded Swiss cheese, tomatoes (of course :) and some wonton noodles for topping.  After about 10 minutes of preparation, lunch!  Look at all those tomatoes, yummy!


I had done a "white load" (bleached) of laundry.  I retrieved it from the dryer, folded it and put it away.  I did some job hunting on the computer checking all the websites I have bookmarked.  There wasn't anything new out there since I looked on Tuesday (and applied to 6 jobs).  I still have not received a reply from my email inquiry on a status update of the interview I had August 9th.  Do I send another email?  Should I wait again until Friday (3rd week)?

John was home by 3:30 and had asked about the predicted rain this afternoon.  He didn't want to water the plants this evening.  He said he went through a quick drizzle on his way home from work.  It wasn't raining at our house.  About an hour later, we started hearing thunder.  It wasn't long after that, the rain came, finally.  Here's our Wet back patio.  No watering the plants tonight!  John took tomorrow off from work.  He'll probably check the rain gauge to see how much rain we actually got.


I feel good, another productive day, hope your day was a good one too.

3 comments:

HappyK said...

Always a good feeling after getting housework done!!
Amazing how hard it is to get things opened now a days!!
Salads look yummy!

Retired Knitter said...

I like the way things feel when they are clean, but I don't enjoy doing it all that much. Depends on my mood. My house needs a complete cleaning especially the bathrooms.

Thank goodness for my ipod touch that keeps me company when I am cleaning.

Noofy said...

Thanks for the idea RK! I never thought to use my iPod for house cleaning. I'm so use to using it to accompany me walking.