Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

What A Gift

Another beautiful day of low humidity and temperatures here.  I couldn't let it go to waste, another walk was in order - it's a gift to enjoy this weather!  I walked to the end of my street and back, two miles.  I pushed myself today, it felt good.  I'm sure I'll be a little sore tomorrow.

Follow along with me for a short time.  As I started out, it was overcast and a balmy 75 degrees.



As I head down the sidewalk it always seems like a long walk ahead, it really isn't.  As you can see, we're almost to the end of the street already where there's a stoplight.  I cross to the other side of the street to head back home.


In addition to having the flag flying from their garage, the owners put a flag in the cart on their lawn, it caught my eye.


I think think this is a Rhododendron bush peeking out from the corner of these folks garage.  It's a beautiful shade of white.


I passed this hanging basket hanging from a shepherd's hook.  I loved the vibrant reds, don't you?


It was a quiet but beautiful day, until the mail came.  John has been off from work since Tuesday of this week.  He loves when the mail arrives for some odd reason.  Today, the water bill arrived.  He collects all the bills and pays them, I let him be in charge of that.  Apparently, our normal water usage is about 9,000 gallons per quarter.  This bill was 22,000 gallons.  Yes, I have been watering the tomatoes, but not that much!  I don't see a new swimming pool in the yard.  John guessed I was using the washing machine and dishwasher too much since I'm home all the time now.  He also thought it possible there was a busted underground pipe (no sign of water over flow) leaking water into the ground (ha!).  John was not happy after opening up the water bill.  It dawned on him maybe the meter had been misread.  Out to the water meter we go to check it.  Sure enough, the wrong number was recorded.  What was reading on the meter was less than what was on the bill.  John called the water company and informed them of their billing mistake.  The water company is sending someone out Monday to confirm the error (reread the meter), which is suppose to generate a replacement bill.  I'm to remind John next Friday if the replacement bill has not arrived to call the water company again to follow up on their meter (re)reading.  I have the hardest job - remembering to remind!

Never a dull moment...

5 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

You do have the hardest job :-)

We had something similar happen with the electricity. We got a bill one month for about $20. We checked our meter and it wasn't moving hardly at all. And we had the air conditioning on.

Although tempted to just stay quiet - we both decided that at some point the electric company would get wise so he called. They replaced the meter - with an updated version - and the next month our bill was back to normal.

We did get "rewarded" however, for our honesty. They never charged us for the electric we used that low month. I don't think they had a way of recouping the data.

HappyK said...

I'm loving these days too. Nice walking today too (Sat) but it is raining out now.

Jamie said...

Thanks for taking us along on your walks with you..

I love seeing the differences in what each of us see on a daily basis.

Happy Weekend!

Cheryl said...

Glad it wasn't the pipes. Sometimes a huge water bill is the way people find out there's a huge problem.

Good for you for walking so far!

Vee said...

Thank goodness you checked! That's outrageous.