Today was a sad day, we visited a friend who is terminal with Cancer. I lost my little sister to Cancer. My brother is a Prostate Cancer survivor. I hate Cancer. My friend Jim is a small man, who is much smaller now. He is about 5'5" probably 145-150 pounds before he was ill. Today, skin hanging on bones, he couldn't have been more than 100-110 pounds. Jim said he has lost his appetite, he has not eaten since July 2nd. Jim is being fed intravenously. Hospice has been checking in on him since his release from the hospital on Friday when his lungs had filled with fluid from pneumonia. I feel helpless, nothing I could do to make him feel better, just smiled, he smiled back. Jim's wife, Jean, has been diagnosed last year with Parkinsons. Jean will be 55 years old October 12th. Jean was hunched over, her eyes barely open, she spoke softly or mumbled (not sure which). I could barely hear her when she spoke. Jean whispered to me later she went with a friend (who lost her husband last year to Cancer) to the funeral home to make arrangements for Jim's passing. So very sad, I wish there was something I could do. John and I left telling them we'd be back soon. Jim was taking his dose of morphine and waving to us. John and I probably won't make it for a return visit. Jim doesn't look like he wants to hang on much longer, his eyes were very sad. It broke my heart to see them both today. I pray Jim goes painlessly.
There were three of us signed up for the Saturday Walking Group yesterday. I had taken advantage of the lovely weather this past week and pushed myself Friday for an little longer walk. By Friday evening, it my right leg thigh muscle hurt to put any weight on it. I decided to send out an email to the Walking Group who had signed up for Saturday that I would not make it. I wanted to give my sore leg a rest. Took it easy yesterday, mostly watched TV, it rained on and off. I checked the Walking Group website, the other two ladies signed up to walk had canceled - no one walked Saturday in our group. As of now, my leg is feeling better. If the humidity comes down, I'll get back out there again this week, a little slower maybe.
Today was suppose to be the day of heavy rains...Flash Flood Watch in effect. We need the rain, we haven't had any substantial rain in awhile. Most of the rain went east of us, my fellow bloggers (Cheryl, Happyone and Retired Knitter) got the majority of the downpours today.
It turned out to be mostly sunny (or partly cloudy?), mid-80s but HUMID.
We did get a little rain overnight according to the rain gage, but I don't think I'd even call it "measurable", would you?
Every Sunday, some nut case drops a newspaper at the end of our driveway. We don't subscribe to a newspaper. So, every Sunday, out I got to fetch the trash off the driveway.
I got some laundry done today. Since it didn't rain and the sun was out, I decided to hang my stuff out to air dry, save electricity - GO GREEN (true confession - my tidy whiteys went in the dryer :)!
Friday, I picked a green tomato by accident when I was reaching for a ripened orange tomato. I left the green tomato on the patio table to ripen. It's starting to turn orange...it's the little things that make us smile, right?
I thought starting out with the sad news would end today's blog on a little lighter side with the tomato starting to ripen. I hope your Sunday was reflective, mine certainly was. I once again, counted my blessings.






3 comments:
So sorry to read about this couple and can only imagine what a bright spot you were in their day. I hate cancer with a passion, too. It's a baster and I hope to see a cure one day. Thank you for ending on a hopeful note...the ripening tomato.
So sorry to hear about your friends. That is so sad. A better place awaits him.
Such sad news. We have had our dealings with cancer as well. My mother-in-law died in our home while in hospice - from lung cancer.
You just never know where life will take you or what curve balls it will send to you.
Post a Comment