Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene That Wasn't

No flooding, no trees down, no loss of power, no damage, we've had worse thunderstorms than "Hurricane Irene".  Here's what our backyard looked like, notice the leaves on the lawn?


Here's the worst damage I could find.  I found a twig by the shed and the day lillys look like something sat on them.  I'm waiting for fall to cut the day lillys back for the season.



We put everything back where it belonged.  The patio was as it was before the threat of Irene.


Bunnies were returned to the outside where they should be, all nice and clean.



The front porch furniture also put back in place, ready for relaxation again.


And John got his man cave - oops, garage back to normal.  The generator neatly tucked away until the need for its use arises again, and it will.


All the hype, we took the precautions as warned and escaped without harm and damage.  No one in our neighborhood had any damage either.  My friend, Colleen, from Edgewater, Maryland, on the other hand was not so lucky.  She has been without power since 10pm Saturday night.  I spoke with her today, they had trees down on live wires.  She reported it, now they wait for the power company to come.  Their neighbor had his van and pickup truck both crushed by falling trees.  Sounds like and insurance nightmare.  Colleen filled her bathtub with water before the storm for toilet flushing, they are on well water.  She is hoping they see the power company truck tomorrow.

I am grateful and count our blessings that we didn't suffer any damage, thank you Lord!  I am sure there are many people counting their blessings too as Hurricane Irene departed our area.  We know how lucky we are.

3 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Our experience was pretty much like yours. But we did have a few trees down when I went out to see what happened in the neighborhood.

Jamie said...

I am happy that you, and most of my blogger friends were spared major damage. I have never experienced living anywhere near hurricanes, I always thought I would like to experience one, just once. Now -- as I read all the preparation that hopefully will be in vain, I think I would rather not go through it all.

Have a really happy Tuesday, friend. Hugs. :)

Cheryl said...

I can't believe you only had one twig with all the trees around your house. It sure was a lot of prep getting ready for what we thought may happen. I'm so glad it wasn't bad for the majority.

BTW, I have the same lounging rabbit!