For those of you who have experienced surgery, I suppose you are aware of the preparation required. This is my FIRST surgery. I've never been under anesthesia. I got a call yesterday from a hospital nurse. This is the call I was expecting on Monday between 8a-5pm. Although my surgery on Tuesday will be outpatient, I will receive anesthesia. John had outpatient surgery on his deviated septum a few years back. I remember he went through a similar process.
The nurse went down a list of things I need to do to prep. She provided a link online where I could print the list if I wanted to, I did. I have bought the antiseptic soap recommended, Hibiclens, yesterday at CVS. I'm to wash my knee area specifically with it. I should not use it on my head, face or genitals according to the nurse. Some of the things she told me was common sense - no jewelry, I thought everyone knew that. They were surprised I didn't take any medications.
Quick story - I grew up watching my parents take all sorts of medications. Maybe because we were military, it was easy to get medication for just about anything. Both my parents were on blood pressure medication since I could remember. My parents were in their early 30s when I was born, scary. They would supply the neighbors who asked when their supply ran out. The neighbors would reimburse my parents for the loan of blood pressure medication when their prescription was refilled - like adult candy, more scary. It was then I made the decision that I was going to try to stay off medication as long as possible.
A few years ago, when my weight gain became difficult to lose, I decided it was time to quit smoking and get healthy. I was told then I had high blood pressure, the doctor reached in her cabinet and handed me a bottle of pills. She said take one of these and sit in the waiting room for a little while. I'll see you again in a little while. Not knowing what was going on, which she shared with me later, I did as I was instructed. About thirty minutes later she took my blood pressure again, it had dropped. She was ready to put me on this medication for the rest of my life - ah, nope. She said my blood pressure was 180/100, dangerous for a stroke. I told her it was because of my weight, it is hereditary. I will deal with it through exercise and weight loss. My journey began and continues. My blood pressure has dropped significantly since then, it was 130/79 during the pre-op tests last Saturday. Anyway, back to my surgery preparation.
I have been taking vitamins for 35 years. I take nine vitamins daily. I was surprised to be asked to stop taking vitamins before surgery. I had to know why. Apparently, they don't want anything to interact with the anesthesia. The nurse asked about any reactions I've had to anesthesia. If I never had surgery, wouldn't it make sense that I've never had anesthesia? Although, I may have it once (I think it was anesthesia). I had an impacted molar extracted when I was in my late 20s. The nurse asked if I still had my tonsils and appendix. Again, doesn't that required surgery? Yep, still got mine. I have my ovaries too I told her, she didn't laugh. I was trying to think ahead of organs that she might ask about that are "removable". When she didn't laugh, I continued to answer her questions without any further comments. It's my surgery, I'm scared to death, humor helps, geez.
I had my last pedicure for the winter in early October (before this happened). The nurse said that either I or they will remove the polish on my toes. Okay, this one got me, I had to know why. Get this, they will draw blood under my toenails....really? She said it is to check the blood flow....OMG, really? I'm going to let them remove the polish on my toes. I'm prepping enough.
I headed for my bottles of vitamins out of habit this morning, then I remembered. I cannot have my daily Zegerid either. I do this daily without even thinking, taking my vitamins every morning. I can't eat anything after MIDNIGHT on Monday night. What surprises me is that I CAN'T DRINK anything, INCLUDING WATER, until after surgery. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day, THIS IS A HUGE SACRIFICE. John says it is a precaution of possible interaction with the anesthesia. My stomach needs to be EMPTY in case I might vomit, just great.
I've started my preparation. I hope the hospital and doctor are as prepared when I get there Tuesday morning.
4 comments:
I sure hope your surgery turns out to be a repair only. You're having it at the hospital, not a surgical center? I've never heard of blood being taken from under your toenail. I think I'd rather not know that!
I had my only surgery 4 years ago, but I've had two colonoscopys. They were all done at an out-patient surgical center. The staff was wonderful. You change into a gown and they layer heated blankets on you. They set up the IV. You get wheeled into the operating room and they inject the anesthesia into the IV line. Next thing you know, you're in recovery and have no idea how you got there. I hope it goes just like that for you.
Hope all goes well with your surgery.
I will be praying for you and the doctors!
Praying for you, Noofy! Everything will be great and that knee will get itself straightened around so much more quickly. I was told that oxygen levels are checked on the toes and that polish interferes with that little pinchy thing's ability to read the oxygen levels. We must ask a nurse. =) Not yours, though!
Sleep well. Be of good cheer.
Actually all the cautions and preparations are based on very specific medical reasons. Their desire is to prevent anything that would get in the way of bringing you through the surgery successfully. I am familiar with all of them having worked in the medical field for so long. I know is seems like a lot, but I am sure that each and everyone one of those preps was based on some very bad outcomes. We learn from experience.
Anyway, sorry to be so late in catching up with your blog.
Post a Comment