Armed with my MRI CD in hand off I went today to the Orthopedic Surgeon to have him take a look. I ended up using the valet parking again. Here's what the full patient parking lot looked like this afternoon. The doctor's office is in the middle red brick building. The hospital is the far left building (you can just see a portion of it).
The doctor confirmed I have a moderate meniscus tear. What he was unable to confirm by the MRI is whether or not he could repair it or have to remove the damaged portion. He said he wouldn't know until he got into the knee and took a look. The tear is in an area of low blood supply of the meniscus.
The doctor informed me if he was able to repair the tear, recovery would be about a week or so. If he has to remove the damaged portion of the meniscus, recovery will be up to six weeks. Yep, my vote is for repair, hope it counts.
Another possibility with this surgery is if the damaged meniscus has to be removed, the probability of developing arthritis later on in life goes up. If the tear is repaired and heals, there is no probability of developing arthritis, at least not from this surgery. The doctor explained it will be arthroscopic surgery where he will go in through three holes he will place in my right knee. This surgery is done as an outpatient, it does not require hospitalization. Surgery is scheduled for the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving, the 29th at 9am. Doctor said surgery will cost about $10,000, I'll definitely hit my $3500 deductible for this year. This turned out to be an expensive slip in the shower, and I didn't even fall!
In the meantime, the doctor said know my limitations. I can walk, but if the knee starts to hurt, get off the leg and rest it, take Advil (ibuprofen) for pain relief. No fast movements and no pivoting (like I pivot, ha!) and to be careful. The knee hurt Monday and today just from the outings. Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt grocery shopping...life goes on.

5 comments:
Oh my. Sorry to hear about this. I know this is not what you wanted.
Have you tried using a cane to help reduce the stress on that knee ... at least until surgery?
Oh bad news. So sorry!! Hopefully it will be just the repair. You will certainly be on my prayer list!
The cane RK mentioned sounds like a good idea.
Yes, I'm very disappointed with the result of surgery, especially with the holidays coming. I bought a pullover the knee ACE bandage that keeps the knee straight while I walk. My walk is more like a limp, although I feel like a waddling penguin. Either I've gotten use to the pain or the knee pain is subsiding. I went grocery shopping today. It took longer than usual, and I didn't do any heavy lifting per doctor's orders. As of now, I think I'll be okay without a cane.
I'm so sorry you have to have surgery. I hope it's a repair and an easy recovery. That was not a good slip! Amazing how quickly things can happen. No raking for you!
Oh I'm late getting here to learn this news. I am sorry that it requires surgery. It's so easy to hurt oneself. Ackkk. So have you been resting and taking it easy? I'm sure that it's not your idea of a great way to spend your time when I'm sure you'd like to be up and doing things. Take it easy and I'll try to get back here sooner next time!
Post a Comment