This waiting on the medical community to get treated for my knee injury is the pits. For anyone in the medical field reading this, you're probably thinking the same, except from the other side of the fence - you're overwhelmed with patients needing help. I'm twelve days out until my knee surgery. When I last visited the doctor on November 9th to read my MRI, I was told arthroscopic surgery was needed on my knee. At that time I was also given a piece of paper by the surgeon's assistant, Jessica, who informed me some "pre-op tests" were needed. She asked me some family medical history questions, made a few check marks on the paper, told me to take the paper to my Primary Care Physician (PCP). Who has a PCP these days? I don't. I explained that I don't go to the doctor unless there is something wrong. This SHOULD translate to...I'm not a hypochondriac, I don't know all there is to know about medicine or procedures. I don't spend my life in hospitals or doctors offices. Unfortunately, those in the medical community seem to think the whole world revolves around medicine. I explained I have a walk in clinic I go to for treatment when needed. Jessica stated that I should not go the the hospital, go to the walk in clinic for the tests, I should not be charged.
Jessica said these were standard pre-operative tests. I looked at the paper check marked CBC, BMP & EKG. I asked how much these tests would cost. I thought I heard Jessica say again "they shouldn't charge you", until today.
Today I went to the local walk in clinic to have the tests done. I told the nurse it was my understanding I would not be charged for these tests. Remember, my insurance is high-deductible ($3,500). Until my medical expenses reach that amount, all expenses are paid by me. Jessica also is aware of my insurance coverage. "Don't you have insurance?" I was asked by the nurse today at the clinic. Seems to be the standard question these days. I explained my high deductible. The nurse looked at the paper with the check marked tests required by the doctor and stated it would cost $175.00 to have these done. She recommended I go to the hospital to have the tests done. I said that I was probably misinformed. I was going to call the doctor's office. I said I might be back, depending on the conversation I have with them about my insurance coverage and the cost. I called Jessica, of course I got her voice mail. I left a message about today's adventure to the walk in clinic and the cost involved. I (politely) asked for a return call leaving my name and number. Here were are almost 10pm on Thursday evening....no return call from Jessica, doubt I'll hear from her tonight. I'm sure she'll get a good night's sleep though, lucky her.
I thought about delaying this post until the test issue was clarified. Then again, maybe you'd rather follow me as I go through this journey instead? Jessica needs to know I got older by the minute today worrying about this surgery and the costs. I need better details and specifics. Yes, I need "SURGERY FOR DUMMIES" that's it!

1 comment:
Oh it must be so frustrating for you. Sure hope things smooth out so you can get what you need done soon!!
Post a Comment