Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Tests Update

In order to understand this post, if you haven't already, you should probably read my previous post to have a better understanding.


When I did not hear from Jessica, the doctor's assistant, by early afternoon today, I decided to call her again.  Guess what, she picked right up, no voice mail!  I stated that I had left a message for a call back last night.  Surprise, Jessica apologized and said she never got the message (on a recorded voice mail?).  I let it go, didn't say a word.   You know what, when my life is in their hands such as it is right now, I'm going to pick my battles.  This one wasn't worth the effort.


I informed Jessica of the cost at the walk-in-clinic close to my home ($175).  Her shock and outrage was actually surprising.  Jessica claimed she had no idea the costs had "gone that high".  I told her they recommended I go the hospital to have the tests done.  Jessica informed me not to go to the hospital for these tests.  Their costs start at $400 for these tests.  She recommended I contact another walk in clinic in my area, tell them I do not have insurance.  I'm to communicate the charges will be self-pay and to ask for a self-pay discount.  I thanked Jessica for her suggestion and looked up another clinic a few miles away and gave them a call.


Must be a popular name, I got "Jessica" at today's (new) walk in clinic on the phone.  I explained my situation, following my given instructions.  The Jessica I spoke with at the walk in clinic, gave me a lower cost of $20.  I'm finding it amazing how these costs break down!  The CBC and BMP are $15 each ($30 total), the EKG is $30 and the doctor's visit is $95 (for a $155 total instead of $175)!!!  I explained that I would not need to see the doctor, I just need to complete these pre-op tests for my unexpected surgery scheduled for the 29th of November.  I was informed the doctor was to perform the EKG, therefore, the $95 charge stays.  I gave it a try!  Again, I'm picking my battles.


Jessica asked if I had been fasting today for the blood test.  I explained I was not informed to fast (note to self to talk to Jessica the doctor's assistant about the uninformed fasting needed).  However, at this time, I had two cups of coffee and a plain whole wheat muffin.  It was about 1:15pm, I had not had lunch yet.  "You will need to fast to be sure the blood test is accurate" she informs me.  Taking the tests today is obviously out since I was unaware of the fasting.  Jessica informs me their hours tomorrow are 7am to 9pm, I can come in anytime during those hours.  I am not to eat or drink anything, except water, after 10pm this evening until I have the tests done tomorrow.  I'll be getting up early tomorrow to get these tests done so I can get some food in my starving stomach afterwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noofy,
Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Just a tip (my husband had the same surgery last year)...if you can borrow a pair of crutches it might save you some $. My husband's dr/hospital required crutches when he was released from the out patient surgery. We brought crutches so did not have to pay for a pair. I wish you the best.

LM