Pages

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Doctor! Doctor!!

Back again to the doctor today in pain.  I called yesterday (Monday) morning and left a message for the doctor to call me back.  Around 7pm it became apparent I wasn't going to hear from the doctor, I called back again for a status or update on my message.  I was informed the doctor had not responded.  The lady I spoke with recommended I schedule an appointment and come into the office today (Tuesday).  My appointment was 11am.  This doctor has two offices.  He serves the office I visit (shown below) every Tuesday.  Notice the parking directly in front of the building.


The nurse weighed me and and also took my blood pressure.  I explained that I had just had that done at last Tuesday's visit.  She said they have to do it each visit (ugh).  I suppose this ritual is to make the patient feel they are getting their money's worth - not.  As usual, I was placed in an empty room and told the doctor would be with me shortly.  All their rooms look the same, don't you think?  


The doctor came in shortly "I got your message" he said.  I didn't say anything.    "It was a long day, I didn't get a chance to call you back, I'm sorry."  Well, I guess if I get an "I'm sorry" I suppose I can be sympathetic about him not returning my call.  "I didn't get home until 8pm" he says. Again, I say nothing.  I think he got MY message.  He took a look at my knee when I showed him how swollen it was.  He bent it, then straighten it, and felt around the kneecap.  "There's definitely fluid in there" he says.  I knew it was swollen, but fluid?  "You're going to have to see an Orthopedic Surgeon."  I explained that when I searched in my insurance provider network online, his office came up under Orthopedic.  The doctor explained their specialty is Sports Medicine, which in a provider network, could possibly grouped with Orthopedics.  He couldn't do anything further for me except provide a recommendation.  The doctor referred me to Commonwealth Orthopaedics, Dr. Lawhorn.  I was impressed with their website and Dr. Lawhorn.  I called when I returned home, my appointment is next Monday, November 7th at 9am.

I decided to drive to the Orthopedic Surgeon's office to be sure I was familiar with location, parking, etc.  Keep in mind, I am barely walking right now.  I noticed the parking lot is about 200 yards ACROSS THE STREET from the "Professional Building".  Because the Professional Building (about six stories high, full of physicians) is right next to the hospital, I spied a valet service.  I may have to use the valet service to avoid the long walk back and forth to my car next Monday.

It's status quo for the next six days, rest, ice, and Advil, try to stay off the leg as much as possible.  As I mentioned before, I have my good days and bad days.  I'm hoping for more good days ahead.

7 comments:

HappyK said...

Hope this doctor will be able to do something for you. Too bad you have to wait another week!

Retired Knitter said...

Stay off it as much as possible. Sounds like you really have a significant injury. So hard to deal with this I know.

Cheryl said...

Isn't it amazing that a little slip could result in such an injury? Also too bad that your doctor couldn't take care of you from start to finish. The good news is that I know a few people who have had the surgery and had easy recoveries. I hope you don't have to have surgery. I hope the new doctor orders a MRI for you.

Hope you have a good Wednesday!

Vee said...

Sounds as if you can be grateful to be passed off to another doctor, if it weren't for the wait. I hope that you're doing what feels right for it. Did you get to visit Picket yet? When she said that she thought she saw Elvis, I nearly laughed myself silly, but I know that she had to be hurting just the way you are now. No fun!

Noofy said...

Thanks ladies for your support, it means alot to me. I hope that this will be physical therapy and not surgery. However, if it must be surgery, it looks like this doctor is one of the best. I'll update you after Monday's (11/7) appointment.

THINGS YOU'D NEVER GUESS ABOUT ME said...

Gee. I get to visit a new surgeon next Thursday. New to me, only because he's the ONE surgeon who accepts my health insurance. That's no recommendation, since my health insurance also mentioned two other surgeons they will pay for: one lost his license and the other one died.

Vee said...

Just peeking in... I'll be back later!