Pages

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Catching up with my fellow bloggers, everyone seems to be getting into the Christmas spirit.  Cleaning, decorating and holiday parties are the general discussions.  Well, you've motivated me into the spirit as well.  I started online shopping just shortly after Halloween - you know, those Veteran's Day sales, then followed by the Thanksgiving sales, and a very good Cyber Monday.  I love shopping online, I made my final purchases today!  They keep sending me emails about their sales, which of course includes FREE SHIPPING.  I'm deleting them without reading them now, too tempting.  I love Christmas, now if only we were rich.

I changed my blogger template for the holiday season.  I've also changed my computer desktop background.  I pulled this picture from the internet.  It gives me a feeling of serenity while my computer loads.


John called last night from Texas, it was 24 degrees there last night.  Thankfully, he had checked their forecast and packed accordingly, except for gloves.  When he left Monday (yesterday) morning, we were in the 40s with temps heading into the 60s.  We've been blessed for about a week with warm weather, which is coming to and end tomorrow with the approaching cold front from Texas.  Well, I suppose it is December.  Here's the view of my deck out my sliding glass door today, everything is wet.


At least the view from my front door is a bit more festive.

Since tomorrow's weather is suppose to continue on a downward spiral of cold, wet and dreary, I'm committed to start the tree decorating.  If that goes well, I will continue with the remainder of the living room and dining room areas.  I don't know how long I'll be able to stand on my leg.  I know I will take breaks and often.  I have been walking without the limp now, still slowly.  I steady myself when coming from a sitting position to ensure I am stable.  You know that feeling when your knee cap wants to pop?  You want to move your leg back and forth until it pops?  That's how my knee feels, but my knee cap isn't popping.  It isn't painful, so I'm going to side that it is a positive feeling of healing.  Today is exactly one week since surgery, I'm grateful for my progress.

We move our dining room table against the wall each season to make room for the tree.  I will restate - we have an old, small rambler home, just perfect for the two of us.  Here are the boxes of decorations and ornaments John brought down from the attic before he left, thankfully.


I also will need to do a bit of vacuuming, dusting and cleaning before I get started on the decorating, beginning with putting away my "get well soon" cards.  Thank you my friends for your thoughtfulness.


As always happens when John is on travel, something goes wrong.  Last night at 10:30 before I headed to bed, I used the toilet one last time for the evening.  Don't you know, the toilet decided to overflow.  When I flushed (yes, too much toilet paper), I saw the water rising.  That toilet has been a little finicky anyway, it doesn't like toilet paper.  I plunged and I plunged until the toilet overflowed.  We have "bathroom carpet" in our bathrooms to cover the ugly 1960s small speckled tile that has not yet come back in style.  Remodeling both bathrooms is on the the to-do list.


I pulled up the drenched carpeting and pulled out the mop.  I finally got everything cleaned up around 11 (remember I was up at 4:20am to take John to the airport?).  I was exhausted and headed to bed. I spent the morning washing the carpeting and old towels.  I've decided to use the hall bathroom the remainder of the time John is gone...just in case.  Everything is back where it is suppose to be.


I'll have to look for my Christmas CDs tomorrow, I know they will certainly get me motivated to attack the decorations.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

4 comments:

Vee said...

Oh I am so glad that you are making such good progress. Now if the toilet will cooperate and you won't overdo. We had a similar incident with the commode over the weekend. No fun, but at least I wasn't on my own as you are. Crazy weather turns we're all in for here on the East Coast.

HappyK said...

Glad your knee is continuing to improve. I've never had my knee pop before so don't know that feeling.
Bad luck with the overflowing toilet.
Hope you've had a fun day putting up your decorations. : )

Retired Knitter said...

Our house is beginning to look like Christmas as well. But it has been another hard christmas for me. Mom is not home with me any more and I just can't get the "spirit" going. But I am making an effort for everyone else around me. I really want January to come soon. I love winter and that season will give me back some of my sunny disposition I am sure - odd I know! :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Oh, I TOTALLY LOVE what you did with your blog.