Pages

Friday, December 02, 2011

Surgery Day

My head is mostly clear today, finally.  My knee is feeling better too.  I've been using one crutch and support most of my weight on the good leg.  I can't seem to get both crutches to work at the same time.  I have a feeling of falling forward, flat on my face.  I'm avoiding that.  I'm taking everything s-l-o-w.  Tomorrow is the first day I can shower.  I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that!


I had prepared, I had three weeks to do so!  I had my to-do list checked off.  I had all items to take with me ready to go.  I gave John two bag selections to hold the contents of what we needed to take to the hospital, including whatever items he wanted (book, iPod, whatever).  My car inspection expires annually December 31st, I put it on the list anyway.  It's the only thing on the list that is still a to-do.






For the most part, surgery day went fine, with one exception.  I found it unusual that everyone I had contact with introduced themselves.  I wanted to take pictures of a few things, John didn't have the tolerance for any picture taking.  I think he was more nervous than I was, and I was scared to death.  I never had surgery before.


Needless to say, I got an onslaught of medical questions on allergies and reactions to medications, although I had already completed an online questionnaire.  They needed to validate the answers were mine - imagine?!!  I had answered that I had never had surgery before.  I must have been asked ten times if I had any reaction previously to anesthesia.  So much didn't make sense to me.  The staff kept saying it was for my own protection.  


I checked in as directed at 9am.  The waiting area was packed.  There were actually two waiting areas, both filled, about 75 people if I had to guess.  I was finally called about 9:20 when the beeper they provided me beeped.  I was given eight forms to sign, paid my deductible, and given copies of everything I signed.  I was informed I was scheduled for 11am surgery.  When the surgical team was ready for me, my beeper would reactivate (beep) and someone would call my name.  I was directed to return to the waiting area.  About 10:15, the beeper was activated and my name was called.  John followed me to the surgical area where I was told to go to Room 7 (lucky 7?).


I sat on the padded, sheeted gurney, John sat in the chair.  There were three walls and a sliding curtain to separate the room from the hallway.  A nurse appeared explaining that an IV would be inserted into my hand so fluids and anesthesia could be inserted into my system.  I was told the doctor and the anesthesiologist would meet with me and answer any questions prior to surgery.  I was given the dreaded hospital gown, some grey non-slip socks and two plastic bags labeled "Personal Belongings".  I was told to strip to my birthday suit, put on the gown and socks and place my clothes and shoes in the bags and give them to John.  The nurse gave me a small magic marker and told me to write YES on my right knee (the spot where surgery was to occur).  She said the doctor would initial above my YES mark when he talked to me.  I changed and marked my knee.  The nurse reappeared after my dressing instruction completed directing me to lie down on the gurney I was sitting on and place the blanket on the bottom of the gurney over me.


Another lady, who could have been a nurse, appeared to insert the IV into my left hand.  Thankfully, she did it on one attempt.  Have you every had someone who drew blood and they had to keep poking you because they couldn't find a vein?  I have, and I think of that experience each time this procedure comes up.  I now had my IV drip, it was 10:40.  I laid down on the gurney.


The anesthesiologist came in and introduced herself.  She was about 5 foot tall, Asian-American, looked to be about 20 years old.  I'm sure was older, she just appeared young.  She asked if I had any loose teeth or dentures and asked I shake my head.  I questioned this procedure.  She wanted to be sure there was nothing in my dental work that would come loose for me to swallow when she places a breathing tube down my throat (OMG, ewww).


John and I chit chatted about how long we were waiting.  It was 11:30 when a nurse appeared informing us my doctor's previous surgery took longer than expected, he was running late.  Of course my thought was "did he almost lose a patient?"  I'm thinking the worst, it's my first surgery!  John told me to stop letting my imagination run wild.  Now, my thoughts were my own, I couldn't share my fears, I am really scared.


At 11:45 the doctor came in and apologized for running late.  He said they were preparing the operating room for me.  When it was ready, I would be taken in.  The doctor marked my right knee with his initials.  He explained he would take "Before & After" pictures of my knee.  The physician's assistant came in shortly after the doctor left and introduced herself.  They both asked if I had any questions after they explained the procedure.  The doctor again mentioned he would not know until he looked at the meniscus whether or not is was a repair or replacement.  I could only pray for the best - repair.


About five minutes later the anesthesiologist appeared again.  She said to John and I that we needed to "say our goodbyes", she was putting the anesthesia in my IV and I was going to sleep.  John gave me a quick peck, wished me luck and said "I'll be here waiting for you".  I remember looking at the clock on the wall in the hall, it was 12:10pm.  I was being wheeled on the gurney down the hallway through double doors.  That was all I remembered until I opened my eye seeing a dark haired lady who said "Nancy, you did great."  For those of you in the medical field, you can probably make more of these "Before & After" pictures from the doctor.  I suppose they are my keepsake of this event.  John said the doctor met with him while I was being wheeled into recovery Phase 1.  John couldn't believe how fast the surgery was.




The dark haired lady introduced herself as Jennifer, my Phase 1 nurse (of two phases).  I would remain with her until I was completely conscious and able to answer questions.  I looked at the clock on the wall, it was 1:15pm.  She asked me my full name, date of birth, my mother's first name, and today's date.  I asked if I wanted ginger ale, coke or water.  I quit drinking soda about six months ago, I asked for water.  I couldn't get enough.  I had nothing to eat or drink since 11:30pm the previous night.  I was so thirsty.  They brought me two packets of saltine crackers also, which I ate.  I had two more (Styrofoam) cups filled with ice water to quench my thirst.


Jennifer asked about my pain.  I told her I didn't feel any at the moment.  She said after the anesthesia wore off, I probably would feel pain and to take a Percocet, which she handed me.  I informed Jennifer that I had had a bad reaction to Percocet years ago when I had some dental work done.  She asked if I had anesthesia at that time, I had not.  She told me to take the Percocet  so I did.


I was then wheeled into Phase 2, where John was allowed to join me in recovery, it was 1:40pm.  Leean introduced herself to both of us as my Phase 2 nurse.  She also looked to be in her mid twenties.  She explained I could not be released until she could confirm I was well enough to be release into John's care.  She had a booklet of instructions of aftercare, which she reviewed and gave to John.  Leean also brought me crutches.  I asked about returning them.  She said they were new and mine to keep, "part of the package".  Leean suggested I drink ginger ale when she discovered I had three cups of ice water.  She said water was too heavy in my empty stomach.  The carbonation from the ginger ale would settle my stomach.  


It was like the power of suggestion.  All of a sudden my stomach became upset.  You know that churning feeling you get in your stomach just before vomiting?  I told Leann about my stomach churning.  She said it was probably because of too much water.  She handed me a small U-shaped pink holder for capture anything coming up.  I told her I needed something bigger, a bag would be better.  My stomach continued to churn while Leean searched for another container.  John took my shoes out of one of the two "Personal Belonging" bags and handed it to me.  Most of the water I had drank and the crackers made it into the bag.  I felt I was in the Exorcist movie, water wouldn't stop coming, finally after a few minutes it did.


I explained to Leean about my bad dental experience with Percocet, which I informed Jennifer in my Phase 1 recovery.  I explained Jennifer directed me to take the Percocet.  Leean didn't feel the Percocet had time to get into my system, it was probably the anesthesia that cause my vomiting.  All I know was I was soaked.  The blanket, my gown, everything was soaked.  Leean quickly got me another gown and blankets.  John removed himself until I could get composed again.  It was the worst experience I have every had.  No more surgeries for me!  I couldn't stop apologizing to Leean, poor girl didn't know what to do.  After I was dried and dressed in a new gown and blankets, I drank   a few sips of ginger ale to settle my stomach based on Leean's suggestion.


It was 2:30pm, Leean felt I was ready to go home if I did.  She said I could get dressed, John helped me.  Oh the pain just to stand!  Leean brought a wheelchair for me.  With John following, I was wheeled to the front desk where  I apologized and thanked Leean again.  A young gentlemen took over wheeling me into the elevator and out to the front door with John following.  Here is what my wrapped up knee looks like.  You can see where the doctor initialed my knee prior to surgery.








As I mentioned, we were given after care instructions, crutches and a booklet about the crutches.  Leean also demonstrated how to use the crutches before giving them to me.








As I mentioned previously, the hospital offers valet parking, which we utilized upon arrival.  John gave the valet our parking ticket and they brought the car around.  John tipped him as I was wheeled to the passenger side of the car where John assisted the hospital helper to get me into the car.  Oh my knee hurt!  We live within four miles of the hospital.  There are three stop lights within that distance.  It took fifteen minutes to get home because we hit each light RED.


I asked John to help me directly to the bedroom.  I just wanted to sleep, I faded in and out.  I woke up about 8pm.  John thought I should eat something.  He brought me some crackers and he brought me some diet Sprite too.  John made arrangements to take Wednesday off from work.  He didn't think I was in any shape to be home alone the day after surgery - he was right.  I didn't get much sleep Tuesday night, I couldn't get comfortable.  I slept maybe three straight hours.  I went to the bathroom four times during the night, luckily it's about five steps from the bed, still not easy to maneuver.


Wednesday I stayed in bed, drifting in and out of sleep.  John would come if I called and needed anything.  He was just as afraid as I was but wouldn't admit  it, probably because he knew it would make me a basket case.  He couldn't help enough at home.  Checking me every 15 minutes, then every half hour, then every hour.  He had picked up my prescription at CVS, Vicodin.  Since I didn't sleep much Tuesday night, I decided to try the Vicodin for some sleep Wednesday night.  John was going to work on Thursday, I was on my own.  As you know from my post yesterday, the Vicodin wasn't a good idea either.  It made me dizzy and nauseous.  Thankfully, not to the point of getting sick.  I ate a turkey sandwich John made and left for me.  I kept my leg elevated for the first 48 hours as directed on the couch, it reclines.  I placed two throw pillows under my knee and watch TV and dozed most of Thursday afternoon until John got home about 4:30.


He made some Pizza.  We figured it was okay to start eating more solid food.  My only diet restriction was no fried foods for 24 hours.  I couldn't have stomached any fried foods, eww.  I had cooked some extra chicken breasts Monday night for easy dinner preparation.  I wasn't ready for those, I told John to pitch them.  The Pizza was great, two slices did me just fine.


The hospital called last night to see how I was doing.  They asked it I had any excessive bleeding (no) or any severe pain (no, not severe).  They asked if there was anyone I wanted to recognize for their exemplary service (no, not expecting the question).  They said I should notify the doctor's office or emergency if excessive bleeding or pain occurs.  I thanked the lady for the call.


Last night I started using one crutch and putting some weight on my right leg as the directions state, to start slowly putting weight on the leg.  It also makes it easier for me to get around without hopping with crutches.  As I said, tomorrow I can shower for the first time since Monday, before I left for the hospital.  I may be in the shower awhile.


I now join those of you who have your surgery story(ies).  Although, I'm not so sure I want to share these events again.  It was too embarrassing.  I think recovery will be much better, that's my plan.  Thank you for joining me in this journey.  Your support and well wishes has meant so much.


John and I got the Christmas decorations down from the attic last Sunday.  He is leaving Monday, December 5th for a work trip to Texas, returning December 16th.  My challenge is to get the tree decorated, slowly, I'm sure.  Lights are on the tree ready for ornaments...ready for me.



1 comment:

Retired Knitter said...

Well, the surgery is past! But I will say I would not have expected the question about "exemplary service". Goodness, what an odd thing to ask. To my mind, they were doing exactly what they are expected to do. Our "service driven culture" which, by the way, doesn't hardly ever provide good customer service is just crazy.

We bought a car recently. I can't seem to get past all the emails and regular mail we receive from the dealer ship. And the customer satisfaction survey is just silly because they want "perfects" they say that up front at time of sale, and I just don't think "perfect" is possible. If they had sold me a new car for half price - that would be PERFECT! :-)

Now, time to mend - get better and take back your life.