Pages

Monday, December 05, 2011

Counting My Blessings

I can confirm that you never realize how much someone or something means to you until you don't have them anymore.   In the weeks leading up to my knee surgery, I was afraid, very afraid.  I didn't know if the surgery would restore my ability to walk.  What would I do if I couldn't walk again?


I continue to count my blessings.  The surgery did restore my ability to walk.  I'm getting stronger every day.  John took my bandage off Friday evening.  See where I was directed to write YES at my point of surgery (knee) and the doctor's initials?  There are three arthroscopic points of entry in my knee, one above the kneecap and two below.  My knee area is very swollen.




I continue to count my blessings.  I took my first shower (no baths allowed)  Saturday since last Tuesday's surgery - one word....ahhhhh.  I abandoned the one crutch on Saturday.  Each time I stood up, I made sure my right leg was braced and stable enough to take my weight for walking.  Stop and think how many times a day you lift yourself from a seating position.  For us females, this includes using the restroom.  I certainly now realize how important knees are!  It has been slow and steady improvement.  I'm  am no longer hopping but walking with a slight limp, a bit like I did prior to the surgery.  I can feel my right leg getting stronger.  I count my blessings.


John got the outside Christmas lights up on the front of the house.  Only the garage and porch area and the hedges near the driveway have lights.  I had hoped he would decorate the light post in the front yard as he'd done in the past, he ran out of time.  John had to pack for his work trip to Texas for the next two weeks.  At least we have a little bit of Christmas lighting on the outside of our house.  I'm pleased with what John accomplished.  I count my blessings.




John was up at 4am, he woke me at 4:20.  He had asked on Friday if I thought I might be strong enough to drive him to the airport this morning so he wouldn't have to take a taxi.  Sunday (last) night, I took a test drive up and down our street.  The biggest question was could I bend my knee enough to get in and out of the car?  I managed to slowly drag my right leg into the car and bend it slightly once seated.  As the night went on, I practiced bending my knee, pushing it a little further each time.  We left the house this morning at 4:50am for the airport, I had my travel mug of coffee with me.  I finished the remainder of the pot upon my return home.  Right now, I'm feeling tired but not sleepy.  I'm sure I'll dose off early tonight.  I pushed myself to get my laundry done today.  John washed what laundry he needed to pack for his trip yesterday.  I counted my blessings.


Finally, I count my blessings for John and you.  John for standing by me, helping me, and being patient with me when I was so afraid.  You for your comments encouraging and supporting me.  I appreciate your support, thank you.  I'm on my way to walking normally again and continue to count my blessings as the minutes tick away.

2 comments:

HappyK said...

So glad to hear that your knee is improving every day. That was quite an ordeal for you. I find it always makes things better when you can count your blessings even in difficult times.
A happy day to you my friend. : )

Retired Knitter said...

I am so sorry to be lagging behind on your blog. Yours is one of a hand full that I read all the posts. And you had so much going on while I was out of action dealing with my mom.

I am starting to blog again. I am slowly taking back my own life. But it is filled with a bunch of sadness right now. But I will "mend" as well. Take care.