Whew, it was a journey today, grocery shopping day. I started out list in hand headed for Shoppers Food Warehouse (SFW), I remembered my coupons too. I got there about 10:40 this morning. Last time I went grocery shopping was before my knee surgery on November 29th. I had a lengthy list. Truth be known, I also stock up on what's on sale (or I have a coupon for), stuff we regularly use.
It was about Noon when I finished at SFW headed for home to unpack and put away. Once completed, I was exhaust and my knee was sore. I knew it would be, it was the longest I'd spent on it. I decided to rest it for awhile before heading out to Giant Food, the other grocery store. It was 1:15 when I headed for Giant.
I did quite well. I got most of the items on my list at SFW. This is the reason I go to both stores, I can't get everything I need at SFW, although they have the better prices. I'm happy when I only have 25% of my list left going to Giant. Also, Giant has better produce department than SFW. I try to keep apples, grapes, fruit on sale of that given week and this trip, I picked up some clementines, stocked for snacking.
I use to hate grocery shopping. When I was working, I cut a deal with John, we alternated weeks shopping, since we both hated it or we'd go together. Now, since I've been unemployed, I do all the grocery shopping. I've now slowed down to read labels, compare prices, and look for the "healthy star" shown on some products suggested as healthier. I don't always buy the "healthy star" product (sometimes it is the priciest). I do read the labels and compare the prices. If the "healthy star" product is on sale and it's a good deal, I'm stocking up. I love when the drop the price of nuts a couple of bucks or I have a coupon for a couple of bucks off (rare coupon find). Johnny gets angry when he opens my pantry "you need to clean this out". "I bet if you dug back in here, you'd find stuff expired years ago." It's on my project list, I'll get around to it (someday :) Besides, it's Christmastime, not cleaning out the pantry time. I've got other things to do, 'tis the season.
What we fail to do this time of year is slow down, take some time for ourselves. I've placed the bag of ice on my knee and elevated it. I have my favorite beverage and my friends, bloggers and readers here in my favorite spot. What a way to wrap my day!
Tomorrow, I carry all the boxes John brought down from the attic out to the garage (and I have space in the living room/dining room again). Rain is expected. I'll get some laundry and cleaning done. If I still have energy, my plan is to move into present wrapping.


2 comments:
I've always liked food shopping. I like going up and down the aisles. I find it relaxing and i like to go alone.
My husband and I have always food shopped together. He is a better shopper than I am. But I am glad for his company.
Post a Comment