Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Cleaning

I'd had enough of the dirty oven.  I kept ignoring it telling myself I'll clean it later.  Today, later arrived.  I decided to get out a can of whoopass oven cleaner last night and give the oven a good spray and let it set overnight.  This morning after wiping down the oven door, I remembered to get the camera.  Our oven is the original to the house.  Yes, remember the 60s????
Clean Door - Dirty Oven
Clean Oven


Growing up, it was my chore to clean the family oven.  As a military family, we moved every 2-4 years.  It was the occupying family who cleaned the house and prepared it for the next family to move in.  The only responsibility the military had was to paint each time a family vacated base housing.  The military would inspect the house after it was vacated by the occupying family.  If the occupying family failed inspection, the active military member would be charged a cleaning fee.  The goal was to avoid failing inspection.  I've got experience cleaning ovens, floors, bathrooms, carpeting, walls and windows.  By placing tinfoil in the bottom, it is suppose to keep the floor of the oven from staining.


Tinfoil Placed


For those who remember the antique General Electric ovens of the 60s, here's a quick run down Memory Lane.


The timer and self cleaning controls


Easy-to-read controls


GE's handy oven temperature guide


Ahh, those were the days, no warranties to purchase.  This oven is still working more than 40 years later!


After I cleaned the oven, I had the feeling of accomplishment, I decided to keep going.  I finished up some decorating.  Is it me or are you doing it to?  Just when I think I've finished Christmas decorating, I find more decorations.  I spent hours this afternoon taking stuff out of boxes and putting stuff back into boxes.  I was exhausted and ready for Christmas, with just wrapping to go.


Since I'm once again mobile, it's time for me to get back on the diet nutrition wagon.  With John still in Texas (returning Friday), I've had a break from cooking nightly and enjoying the break.  I love Chinese delivery!  I made some chicken, brown rice and green beans tonight and have leftovers for tomorrow night.




I'm enjoying the holidays, getting my spirit.  It is here only once a year, grab it, absorb it, get enough to last you through the year.  If only everyone could keep the Christmas spirit all year round.

3 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my. My oven very much needs to be cleaned. It is a self cleaning oven, but I bet with mine as dirty as it is, it would be better to clean it by hand.

It is a January job for me.

HappyK said...

Now that is a job i DON'T like. Thankfully i have a self cleaning one now.
I remember those inspections. Funny though i used to clean my house like crazy when leaving and always passed but moving into the next one was NEVER has clean as the one i left!!

Cheryl said...

I remember those ovens! My sisters and I took turns doing the big jobs, like defrosting the freezer, cleaning the oven, and polishing the wood furniture. The oven was so hard to do! Mine is terrible, and I'll have to do it one of these days. Did you have to do a lot of scrubbing? The task seems daunting!