Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Knee Update

I painfully made it to my doctor's appointment this morning after sitting in traffic this morning because of construction.  Of course, they had to weight me (I'm still fat), take my blood pressure (it's still high), and my temperature (one thing that was normal).

I had a library of forms to complete as I was a new patient.  They called me before I could finish the paperwork.  The assistant who weighed, checked blood pressure and temperature assured me I could complete the paperwork after I finished the appointment.


I met with the doctor, who was very chatty.  He talked to me about being from Canada, he was raised in Montreal, Ontario.  He informed me he was just a few years younger than I.  He did his best to pressure me about the importance of a colonoscopy (haven't had my yet, obviously).  I assured him it was on my list of things to do.  He said he was getting his soon as well.  We discussed my family medical history.  Finally, we got around to discussing my knee.

I have a tear in my meniscus.  I had to look it up on WebMD to know what it was.  Doctor believes it is a minor to moderate tear.  His orders are to stay off it and keep it iced.  I should try to put an bandage around it to keep from bending it too much.  I can take up to four Advil at a time for pain and swelling, but no more than 12 (3x/day) in a 24 hour period.  I should rest it through the 30th and return to have it looked at again if it is still painful.  IF it heals, then all is good.  IF it does not heal, it will require arthroscopic surgery costing "a couple of thousand dollars".   I ask for (and doctor provided) a note explaining my injury and recuperating instructions.

In case Michael's Arts & Crafts calls, I'll have proof that I have this injury and recovering.  I have not heard from them as of today.  I will be surprised if I do.  I asked the doctor about what to do if they called me to start working next week.  He said I should wait and see how my recovery goes.

This isn't going to be easy, I don't like sitting still.  I have laundry to do, grocery shopping to do, and yard work to do.  I know, it will wait.  I have to be patient in order to heal, now hurry up knee and get better!

Another group of deer pass through the yard this morning.  They were closer to the woods, I was unable capture of them with the camera.  I did get this picture of the buck before he headed out with his family.


I suppose this is the nice side to recovery!

4 comments:

HappyK said...

So sorry about your knee. Yes, that is going to be very hard to have to sit still.
I'd go crazy if i couldn't walk!!! But its a good time to get caught up on reading. If i remember correctly though you aren't a reader.

I just learned from Cheryl today that you two went to school together!! : ) I didn't realize that the two of you knew each other!

Retired Knitter said...

Keep off that leg!! Knees are hard to heal because they are a joint and one that we use all the time. But surgery will have a longer heal time.

Read. Learn a hobby (like knitting)

:-)

Wish I wasn't so buried in mom stuff right now. I could ride out and teach you to knit!! Even if you didn't want to learn, I would teach you and you wouldn't be able to "get away". :-) Trapped!!

Seriously - feel better.

Noofy said...

Yes Happyone, Cheryl and I went to the same high school and graduated the same year; although, we didn't know each other then. Cheryl's best friend, Kit, was in my homeroom class. I know Kit, of course.

This first afternoon of sitting still has proven very difficult. I don't know how I'm going to do this but I have to!! I hope the time passes quickly.

HappyK said...

I know Kit. She is a very interesting person!! I like her!!