Yes, Wednesday, the roofers arrived at 7am to install a new roof. The high temperature expected 90-95 degrees. At 7am, I'm on my second cup of coffee and putting my face (makeup) on. I hear the scurrying on the roof, sounds like animals running around in the attic. I leave the house by the back sliding glass door at 7:30. It was the only exit I could find out of the house. I left John and the roofers to their respect jobs. John took these pictures.
The old shingles were removed. Old/rotted plywood was replaced.
In lieu of a skylight, we opted for the less expensive "tunnel" skylight. It is circular and much smaller than a skylight, yet serves the same purpose. Here is the tunnel in the box, awaiting installation. It was stored by the contractor in our front bushes prior to install.
We are more than thrilled with the difference it made in our foyer. Those of you familiar with the Levitt ranch style home, you know how dark the foyer is. Not at our house anymore. Let the sunshine in!
It lights up the foyer better than the electric light to the left of the sun tunnel. Thank you Mother Nature for the sunshine that now pours in my foyer! Had we known how wonderful this invention is, we would have had another installed in the kitchen over the sink. John is going to ask the contractor how much it costs as well as any anticipated issues (leaking) there may be to have another installed now the roof has been completed. No harm in asking. The end result, perfection, at least in our opinion. We're happy with the new roof and beautiful sun tunnel.
Before
After
(notice the sun tunnel on the roof, just above the door)
What a difference!











4 comments:
Nice to have that extra light shine in!!
Glad all went well.
I love the extra light - and the fact that you don't have to pay for it - I mean, beyond instillation. Hopefully in our next home we will at least have more windows.
Wow! Another tip with that sun tunnel! Terrific idea.
Oh, and the roof looks great. Must be a good feeling to know that it's good for another thirty years!
Post a Comment