Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Oops, I Missed a Week

It got a little busy last weekend, Mother's Day weekend.  Saturday, we grocery shopped (yes, two grocery stores!) for our Mother's Day BBQ for Mother-in-Law (MIL).  John was with me as he wanted to spend his bowling cash award.  His team took first place of 12 teams.  Each bowling team member got a $500 cash award.  He bowls on a mixed league with two couples, three men and two women.  I haven't bowled since 2000 when I broke my elbow falling on the front steps of our former house leaving for work.  Unfortunately, I can't lift anything heavier than ten pounds max.  I am very afraid or re-injury as well (same with my knee).  Anyway, MIL picked the menu of hot dogs and hamburgers for BBQ.  Of course, we shopped for all the go-withs.  Unfortunately, it was in the low 60s and windy.  We had initially planned to dine on the deck, however, changed the plan to indoors due to the cool temps and wind.  MIL enjoyed the company, food and her day.

Hubby & brother grillin and chillin
 


Hubby, his brother, and his mother = Mother's Day 2013
 
Needless to say, after the goodbyes and clean up, I was too exhausted to blog, I know you understand.
 
Thanks to the cool, rainy weather, we have not planted the garden yet.  It was on the agenda for this weekend.  However, Mother Nature delivered a rainy weekend.  We're ready to go, we have the seeds, just need to buy some tomato plants, and John has tilled the garden.  It may need another quick tilling before we plant to clear the helicopters (tree seedlings).
 
Too many tree seedlings, another tilling needed
 
I joined Weight Watchers Online in April (no meetings).  Hoping for better results than I've been getting.  So, rather than counting calories as I was, I'm now counting points.  I've been up and down in the past month.  I lost two pounds and gained them back the following week (probably celebrated with a little too much dark chocolate :).  Gained and lost which seems to be the yo-yo I'm on.  This week, I've lost a pound.  I'm going to try to be good and keep it off, try to add another pound to that loss this week.  I've been walking daily at work.  I get extra points for activities, so my elliptical workouts and 30 minute/day walks add to my daily point allotment (woohoo!).  I record everything - the good, bad and ugly.  My weekends are full with chores and errands.  This week because of the rain in the forecast, I did the grocery shopping on Thursday and didn't hit the elliptical when I got home two hours later than usual, exhausted.  I did have good steps on the pedometer for extra points for the grocery store walking.  I'm hoping it all balances out.  I've stocked up on the fruit (0 Points for all fruit!), and cherries (my favorite) are now in the store (I'm planning another trip back before the sale ends this week).  I soak my berries in a water/vinegar mix (1-10 ratio), they don't get fuzzy and get rotten.
 

Cherries are back!
 
 
Berries soaking for 30 minutes
 
I'm addicted to oranges for my lunch and sometimes a night time snack
 
Strawberries ready for lunch packing this week.
 
Of course, a little Sangria helps with the fruit cleaning process ;-)
 
Spring continues to spring at my house.  My last blooming Azalea is in full bloom and very pink!
 
 
The Black-Eyed Susan's are popping too!
 
The Hostas in the front porch area are at full growth and the Azaleas are done with very little bloom left on them.
 
I bought new seat cushions for the front porch chairs.  Also, put the Citronella plant on the porch for the summer.  It is difficult to keep this plant alive all winter, it is very finicky.  This one survived another winter!
 

We had the local contractor come take a look at our roof and give us an estimate for replacement.  We were told the roof was 10 years old when we bought the house in 2003.  John was on the roof last week cleaning the "helicopter" tree seedlings from the gutters with his blower and found soft spots in the roof that were getting worse and shingles coming lose.  The estimate has arrived, new roof is $15K.  If we had the roof replaced three years ago after the two years of back to back snowstorms (2009 & 2010) when the soft spots first appeared, the roof would have cost $9K then, bummer, oh well.  This roof has a 30 year warranty, so it will probably outlast us both.  This is our "before" picture.


The new shingles will be delivered this Friday and placed on the roof (stacked ready to use).  On Tuesday or Wednesday (after Memorial Day), the roofers will arrive and spend the day, tearing up and disposing of the old roof, replacing and repairing necessary boards, adding the waterproofing and new shingles, will be all in a day's work for the roofers.  I can't wait to see it finished!





5 comments:

Retired Knitter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Retired Knitter said...

Well spring has come to my neck of the woods too ... which is about 60 minutes from you :-)

MY Mother's Days was pretty disappointing. I spent the morning with my mom, going to church with her and then having lunch at her assisted living (That part was good.) But I discovered a few things while I was there and then had to work on those short falls in her care by email when I got home. I was pretty aggravated. My daughter usually leaves for home on Sundays before I get back so her bright lovely face wasn't here when I got back. And then my son and his wife when to see her mother later in the day (holiday sharing now that there are two families to managed.) I guess I was feeling pretty sorry for myself by about 3:00 pm.

There were two bright spots: my daughter-in-law made lasagna for us before they left so I didn't have to cook dinner. That was lovely. And my daughter ordered me a FitBit - pedometer which will come in June. I don't know alot about it, but it will give me the activity boost I need. That is for sure.

I have had better days, that was for sure.

But it was fun checking in on you. I need to get a blog post up myself in the next day or so.

HappyK said...

I used to bowl years ago and really enjoyed it.
All the fruit looks really good. Cherries are a favorite of mine too.
Things looks very pretty around your yard!!

Vee said...

That is a great tip about the berries. I'm snagging it!

Vee said...

Oh...ai yi yi on the cost of a new roof, but some things must be taken care of and a new roof is one of them!