I missed spending summer outside this year, it was too awful hot for me. I heard on the news tonight that today being 93 degrees was the 48th day this summer of 90+ degrees. We had a nice Wednesday this week without humidity. I spent it at the grocery store chasing down the 24 oz Diet Cokes that John likes. Chasing being the operative word. They were out. I was told to call daily to see if a delivery arrived - really? Yes, I did. They had Sprite, Coke, Coke Zero, but NO Diet Coke! Delivery is expected Saturday. The Store Manager now remembers my name, ugh!!!
Last weekend I had a wonderful mini-reunion with high school classmates. Some were from the class behind mine, so I only knew two ladies, one was the hostess. The others I met for the first time. Yes, that's me, front and center. I don't know why they put the fat girl out front, ugh! Three of us have started our own weight loss challenge. One is already skinny, I guess that's how she does it.
It was such a short visit, we all had a wonderful time, it's never long enough. I'm going back to Maryland (where I graduated high school) the end of September to visit with other classmates from my class.
My garden is almost done for the season. The tomatoes were the only crop that did well. The green beans died (early July). I previously posted the picture of the only three beans that sprouted. Here are the grape/cherry tomatoes that haven't stopped growing yet. First, the clean to be eaten bunch (which I noticed I need to remove a few softies).
Today John was out garden picking and threw these into a bowl to be washed, which I found when I arrived home.
The grape/cherry size are delicious! I've been adding them to my nightly dinner salads. I haven't tried the regular sized ones yet. I have two that I placed on the deck table to get sun and ripen because they couldn't be supported by the vine.
Then there's what is still left on the vine (both regular and grape/cherry sizes).
Sadly, there's not much left on the vine. Good news/bad news on the corn. Good news is the corn sprouted! Bad news is that it didn't grow much. We believe this about all we're going to get for the season. This is the first year we planted anything but tomatoes. It was an experiment, we learned what we need to do for next year's crop.
Work has been slow, and I'm worried. In previous jobs, slow meant possible layoff. I've been asking around the office if this is usual or unusual. I'm told that this is usual until disaster strikes. Remember, I work for the Office of Disaster Assistance in the Small Business Administration. It has been over 2500 days since Hurricane Katrina, which was considered the biggest disaster in their recent history. Needless to say, time is running out for one to hit, I hope no lives are lost. Property can be replaced, lives can't, people matter in my world.
To pass the time during this lull, I've taken some (free) online classes offered. There's a certificate to print after completing and passing each class. I did all the classes and wallpapered my cubicle.








4 comments:
Oh my those tomatoes look wonderful. It has probably been 20+ years since I grew anything. Now I just enjoy frequenting farmer's markets. I am not good at growing things.
I have never attended a class reunion. I don't remember being close to anyone in High School. In fact I don't remember anyone from high school.
I didn't know these people in high school either. Most of these ladies(with the exception of three), I'd just met that day. The three I know are usually at my high school reunions we have every five years in Bowie, Maryland at the Comfort Inn. I'm sure if you started digging out your yearbook and doing some online searching, you might find someone or something out about your high school or a reunion. One girlfriend I have who attended two different high schools her senior year, got in touch with some classmates (on Facebook) and helped organize the first reunion they've had in over 30 years (there was a 10th), it was their 40th year since graduation (Bladensburg, Maryland, Class of 1971). They all met one weekend in Ocean City, Maryland last October (when the rates drop) and hotels there are hungry for business. Everyone agreed from then on, every five years and to stay in touch in the meantime.
Hi, Noofy. I know I see you on Walker Tracker, but to be honest, I miss seeing you here as well. I know working cuts into all sorts of things. Maybe just one post a month would work. Don't abandon your wonderful blog. Cheers.
Me, too. Had to come looking for you! I can't believe that it's been over a year.
What do you think of the new DWTS line-up? And, will you miss Maks?
Post a Comment