Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

It's That Time Again - Spring!

Wow, we've had some wonderful weather here in the Mid-Atlantic area, record temperatures.  This past week, as you locals know.  We had three days over 80 degrees - amazing for the second (full) week of March.  One day, Thursday, the 15th was a record breaker at 84 degrees.  The Cherry Blossoms (big annual tourist attraction in Washington DC each spring) had their bloom date pushed FORWARD TWICE, now scheduled for Sunday.

I communicate regularly with my cousin in Newfoundland, Canada.  I'm counting my blessings, they are still up to their knees (or almost) in snow.  It is beautiful to look at (in pictures), a bit too cold for me, especially after our weather this week.  My cousin's view faces the bay.  It's a gorgeous view.  Here's her view on March 14th.


Here's what she makes her way through on her daily walks.


I'm thankful for our short and mild winter.  As I turned the corner heading into work, a smile grows on my face.  It would on yours too seeing this, right?


Spring is my favorite season, everything becomes brand new and beautiful...again.  Just a quick tour of Spring in my neighborhood.


John took a few days off this week.  He spent Wednesday mulching and was rewarded with a sunburn.

And of course, the Daffodils are here!

The worse part of Spring is allergies for those of us bothered by the blooms.  The whirlie birds falling from the trees (also called helicopters or leaf seedlings?), are still to come, scattering yards and cars for about two week timeframe.  I also hear we're in for a bad B-U-G season due to our mild winter.  All the creepy crawlers are suppose to show up early this year, especially ants and spiders.  I suppose we have to take the bad with the good.

I am still busy at the job, for the most part.  When it gets slow, I ask for work - I know, I'm crazy.  Better busy than bored I always say.  I continue to learn new processes and systems and still lack the access to the two databases that contain payroll information.  This access is granted from the National Finance Center in New Orleans.  Supposedly, after my first payday (today), I will drop into the National Finance system, which will trigger the request for my access.  Until I get that access, I am unable to enter new hires into the system and/or make any employee payroll changes.  Right now, I'm learning through my team members who do have the access, but no hands on experience for me yet.

In closing, I'm another year older Sunday.  Growing up, I always celebrated my birthday on St. Patrick's Day.  All the party people were too pooped to party the day after.  I now know 6 other people I share the same birthday with.  Two are from my high school home room class (Happy Birthday Kit!).  Amazing how these years creep up so quickly.  I was just 25, I remember it.  I remember turning 40 then the big 50.  Sunday, begins my 56th year on this planet and I born in 1956 (maybe it's a magical year for those of us born that year?).  I'm grateful daily that I'm on this side of the grass.  I've lost so many dear friends and some people who I had known and lost touch with and heard of their passing, all but one younger than I.  Four people in the last 16 months passing from Cancer.  Yes, I will start my 56th year, blessed to be somewhat healthy, happy to be employed again and still walking, literally!  Since my knee surgery steps are difficult, and no ladders anymore for me.  That's okay, I'm not fond of climbing ladders anyway.

I'm continue my lifestyle change of developing good eating habits and exercising more - moving more.  Both John and I are using the elliptical (aka the monster) daily.  I'm increasing my elliptical time weekly, giving myself time to adjust for endurance not exhaustion.  I've lost 14 pounds since February 1st.  It's a slow go, I remind myself to be patient.  It's one of the hardest thing to do after a day at work is come home, change clothes and start on the elliptical.  I tell myself by doing so will extend my life (yes Dr. Oz, I listened).  I've made it a habit and no longer a hatred.  My daily elliptical exercising is now a part of my daily routine.  Instead of getting into bed at night, I fall into it and straight to sleep.  I'm getting use to the early mornings too, now ending my third week of work.  I'm not friends with my alarm clock.  I'm not a morning person.  I'll never get use to the loud buzzing noise at 5am although I'm happy for it every payday.

Hope Spring is springing where you are.  If not, be patient, it's coming and worth the wait.  Oh yeah, Easter is three weeks away - yikes!

1 comment:

Retired Knitter said...

Glad things are going so well for you right now. I am still struggling with getting a routine (a healthy routine) going for myself and I am retired so there are no excuses.

I missed having a regular winter. Oh well,there is always next year.