Pages

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

CHRISTMAS

I decided to cover the entire holiday week with one blog.  I headed to my brother's home in the beautiful Shenandoah Mountains of Skyline Drive on Christmas Eve early afternoon, which is about an hour's drive from my place.  He lives in Front Royal, Virginia.  It was a beautiful day, although traffic was surprisingly heavy.  Here's my exit.    


Front Royal is such a small, quaint little town, yet they have all the modern conveniences (stores such as CVS, Pizza Hut, Jiffy Lube, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, KFC, McDonald's, etc.).  Below I am is just cresting the hill into the main part of town.


I think there are only three traffic lights on the main road.


This is approaching the last traffic light "in town" as I head toward the outskirts and my brother's home.  There is a very small airport in Front Royal, and of course, we head toward Skyline Caverns.



A few minutes out of town, I cross the Shenandoah River.

I turn onto the road where my brother lives.

I finally come upon his driveway.  Imagine having to shovel this driveway when it snows?

I pull in close to the house to unload my car.

Once inside, Rory, the Newfoundland Dog, is happy to see me.

Luna, the newest addition, is a six month old hound dog.  She won't sit still for my picture....puppies!

My sister-in-law, Terry, gave my brother a poker table for Christmas.  We had a wonderful evening playing poker with the twins, Danielle and Shauna, and Danielle's boyfriend, Tony - surprisingly I won the evening of Texas Holdem Poker (no money, just chips).  No one would sit still for pictures, so here's the table.


It was so hard to get anyone to pose for pictures.  Presents had the highest priority.  I just started snapping my camera.  Here's the girls, opening gifts, you can see Shauna's face.


My gifts from his family.

Danielle

Shauna

Terry

John (my brother, holding his Virginia Tech Dad t-shirt from Danielle)

After opening presents Christmas Day, we had a wonderful southern breakfast of sausage biscuits and gravy made by Danielle (biscuits) and gravy (Shauna). I forgot to take pictures.  It was a short visit, as the family had plans with friends that evening.  I decided to head back home that afternoon.  Johnny gone to his Mom's for Christmas dinner.  I got home to an empty house and got unpacked.  Here are my gifts unwrapped and stocking stuffers from my brother's.


Terry was going to give me some leftover ham from Christmas Eve dinner before I left, unfortunately, we both forgot.  It was about 5pm and I was starving.  Time for a frozen dinner - my Christmas Dinner, a french bread pizza.  The diet starts next week (again).


Johnny's presents were under the tree, awaiting his arrival home.  He's a smart shopper, he gave me cash.


Johnny arrived home around 7pm and opened his gifts.  I'm pleased I don't have any returns, even the flannel shirts fit.

NEW YEAR'S

I went grocery shopping on Friday.  I was surprised to see the number of Amaryllis still unsold, probably because they had reached their peak.



for a Purdue oven stuffer roaster for just the two of us for New Year's Eve dinner.  That would leave us plenty of leftovers for New Year's Day. I put out a cutting board of crackers, cheddar cheese and summer sausage.  I guess Johnny was hungrier than he thought.  He ate almost all the sausage, cheese and crackers all afternoon.  With the roaster I made stuffing, green beans, potato, some brown bread and a salad.  I forgot to take a picture of it all.  Here's the bird and potatoes in the oven.


Johnny was too full to finish his dinner.  Today, we had some of the leftovers.  I think we'll have leftovers for another day or so.

I was surprised Johnny stayed up and watched the ball drop on TV in Times Square with me this year.  Normally, he's long gone to bed.  I did have a new find that I just love, the perfect cocktail - Skinnygirl White Cranberry Cosmo made with vodka and triple sec, delicious!  Cheers to 2012 for health and happiness to you and yours!


4 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good holiday. We did as well. Of course I worried about mom, but she had busy days on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - so the sensitive holiday past and we came out on the other side.

Happy New Year's to you!

Vee said...

A good holiday and I'm glad that you didn't have to wait long for John to get home on Christmas Day. Yay for his staying vertical through the ball drop, too. My darling was in bed and asleep by 9. Nine! Isn't that crazy? Oh well, he's been terribly tired and needs his beauty sleep.

Have a wonderful New Year and may the knees be feeling better with each passing day. Yup, diet starts here again just as soon as we waddle through the leftovers. Sigh.

HappyK said...

Sounds like a nice holiday.
Our neighbors in Savage moved to Front Royal. I've haven't heard from then since.
Nice area up that way.
Hope that knee of yours is getting better each day and soon i'll read that you are walking again. : )
May 2012 be your best year ever!!

Cheryl said...

Wonderful post. Happy New Year to you and John. I hope 2012 holds only good surprises.