Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

To The Dump

Today was free electronics dumping day at our County dump.  I showed John earlier this week the online posting from the County that it was scheduled today.  He was pleased to see they have started to schedule this event once a month.  John had asked I go with him in case it was crowded and they were directing traffic.  Thinking ahead about my new blog, I took my camera (old Kodak EasyShare), figuring I would get a picture or two in.  Best laid plans go to waste is the truth in this case.  John asked that I drive so he could be the set of eyes reading the directional signs at the dump.

I suppose everything happens for a reason.  There were County employees in fluorescent green jackets along with signs everywhere directing the traffic on which way to go.  John asked that I check with one of the County employees about our cargo, which included a broken microwave, a broken vacuum cleaner, a burned out old computer monitor, burnt out fluorescent light bulbs and a small black and white portable TV set.  I stopped and asked about our cargo, which was not all electronics.  The County employee in his bright green jacket directed us to the next employee about 100 yard ahead and said "ask him".  The dump was pretty crowded, word was out about free dump day.  We were being flagged on through like policemen do at intersections trying to keep traffic moving, no chance to stop and ask.  We pulled into an covered area, where there were about five cars ahead of us and 15 County employees in the same bright green jackets, who were unloading the cargo from everyone's cars.  Signs had been posted along the way "please stay in your vehicle", so we knew we couldn't get out of the car.  I had my camera in my purse, which was in the backseat, since John was in the passenger seat where I normally keep my purse.  I was doomed, I couldn't get out of the car, and John was telling me to push the trunk button to open the trunk so the employees could get at the items we were disposing.  I had to snicker a bit to myself about all the organized chaos.  Signs everywhere specifically identified "electronics" were free for dumping today.  On the County website, they were not that specific about the items.  I heard one employee say "are we taking vacuum cleaners?" holding ours in the air.  They emptied my trunk of all the items thankfully.  The best part was that it was free, not much these days is free.

I think it is about time for me to update my camera to one of those sleek ones that probably download to the computer with a cord.  Thank you Happyone and Cheryl for your help and suggestions.  You gave me some good pointers and ideas.  My sister in law has a Sure Shot (goof proof?) camera, a gift from my brother for Christmas.  It is the kind Ashton Kutchner pushes on TV, I believe.  It was small, slim and looked like it had alot of different features from what my sister in law was reading from her owners manual on Christmas morning.  I'll have to go online and start my consumer research, another item for my "to do list".

After we got home from the dump, John decided to get the generator running to "blow it out".  Something that's suppose to be done regularly to keep it clean and running I am informed.  One problem, the generator wouldn't start.  John fiddled with it for awhile trying to get it started to no avail.  He decided to go to the local auto parts store to buy a new spark plug.  He came back with a spark plug for the lawn mower as well.  "You never know when we will need one for the lawn mower, good to have one handy."  John is alot like Tim Allen on Home Improvement, for those who remember that show.  We have a two car garage.  We park our cars in the driveway year round, you get the idea.

With the high winds we had last week, leaves from the woods always end up on our front porch area and on the back deck.  I spent some time in the sun sweeping the leaves back into the woods, another nice day.

Hope you had a chance to get out and enjoy your view.

1 comment:

HappyK said...

The dump in my county (they call them landfills now a days) used to be free if you showed them your license. You might have to pay a yearly fee now, I'm not sure because we haven't been in a while. We can just drive up and throw things into the big dumpsters they have sitting around for the different types of garbage or recycling.
I remember the good old days when you could walk around and find really good things at the dump. It was a fun place to go. Now you aren't allowed to take anything.