I haven't been blogging because I really didn't have much to say...until now.
First, the elliptical purchase is still ongoing. The refund from Sears to the credit card was suppose to be by February 3rd, payment was due to be mailed on February 7th to be paid promptly (otherwise, they can ding our credit for late payment, ugh). No refund occurred on February 3rd. On February 6th, John (loaded with steam) called Sears for the fourth time explaining what happened, which is already documented in their computer system we find out. After speaking with three previous CSR (Customer Service Representatives), he finds out on February 6th that his refund will be processed "immediately" and this lady is at a loss to explain why the refund could not be made sooner by the previous THREE CSRs. It would take three days to process the refund (credit). John had made the payment in full, which will now appear on the credit card as a CREDIT since Sears was so slow to react. By yesterday, the credit card had been processed with the credit. The payment has not yet hit the credit card. What a mess!
Here's the icing on the cake...ready...are you sure??? Today, we get a phone call from Smooth Fitness who is the the vendor selling their elliptical through Sears. We are one of about 5-6 customers who have returned/cancelled their order with Sears. "Jimmy" from Smooth Fitness is wondering why we cancelled. We explained that we were promised delivery by January 13th. When the elliptical didn't arrive, we called Sears. We were informed after two calls, the elliptical never shipped from Smooth Fitness (Sears' vendor). We cancelled the order and asked for a refund. Jimmy states the elliptical shipped on January 4th and was scheduled for delivery on January 13th. Jimmy says the elliptical sat lost in Sears' warehouse locally (he traced it). Sears made the mistake in the order delivery (not Smooth Fitness as Sears stated), since the elliptical was at their local warehouse after being shipped on time from Smooth Fitness. Amazing story, right? Jimmy asks if we still want the elliptical? Jimmy is willing to ship it directly to our home, bypassing Sears at the same cost we paid to Sears. John agreed we'd take it (we had already agreed we would buy one locally anyway). Jimmy said he would have someone from their sales department at Smooth Fitness contact us today to have the elliptical shipped.....the phone never rang. TO BE CONTINUED....STILL.
As you know, I was applying to jobs up until I hurt my knee last October, which led to the surgery and recovery. Thursday, January 26th, I get a phone call asking if I'm still interested in an HR Assistant position I had applied to with the Small Business Administration last SEPTEMBER??? I went on an interview Monday, January 30th. Nice building, nice sunny day for an interview, right? Location is about 8 miles from my house, fifteen minutes in no traffic (interview was at 10:30am). Travel time would probably be 30 minutes with traffic, still not bad - close is good.
I met with the department supervisor Don, and his boss the director of the HR group, John. Don looked to be about my age, John looked to be mid-60s, both looked like lifetime Government workers. I've been trying to get in the Government since 1974 when I graduated. There was always someone else selected, or I was over qualified, or I didn't fill out their form correctly, yadda, yadda, yadda. I chalked this interview up to an exercise in futility....I need to get back in the practice of interviewing. It felt good, they asked questions, I asked questions. It was a very low paying Government job doing data entry for all new hires across the country for the Small Business Administration, Office of Disaster. This branch is responsible for helping people and businesses (by issuing loans) to get back on their feet during times of disaster (tornadoes, earthquakes, etc.). The must have the ability to staff up quickly and send people (not me) to disaster areas for assistance. I was informed that occasionally overtime would be necessary (during disaster times), was I available to work at short notice? I responded I was - anytime. Like all previous interviews, I thought it went well.
Once home, I sent my standard interview appreciation email to both Don and John and "I look forward to hearing from you once you reach a decision", which Don said would be within that week and thanking them for their time. On Thursday, I received an email from Don saying his boss (John) had been out of town this week and would return Monday the 6th. Don was awaiting supervisor approval of candidate selection. I didn't get my hopes up, figured it was another formality leading to the standard letter "thank you for your time..." On Wednesday, I received a call from Edwin in Human Resources offering me the position of HR Assistant (OMG)!!!
John is thrilled, he can't stop saying "Noofy got a job!" It is quite the story how this unfolded, at least I think so. An application long forgotten in cyberspace. Edwin asked if I could start on Monday, the 13th. I asked for a week delay. I can start on the 20th I said, which is a Government holiday (Presidents Day), so Tuesday (the 21st) I could start. Edwin mentioned that normally they don't start new hires in the middle of a pay period. I said I would be willing to start the following Monday, the 27th, if that was convenient for everyone (Don and John whom I'd interviewed with). Edwin said he was sure that would be fine. However, this would be a "tentative offer" based on passing background and credit checks. Edwin sent forms for me to complete and send back, which I did today. I am awaiting notification that the background and credit check processes are complete and confirm my start date of February 27th (woohoo, finally 18 months of unemployment has ended!!).
My life will change again. I will start a new routine, I'm excited. I must go shopping for new clothes - ha!!!

6 comments:
First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Yes, your life will change again but we will all be eager to hear about it. You won't stop blogging will you? Yikes, I didn't even think about that. Maybe you won't have the time, or the energy or the desire (panic, panic, panic) ....
As for that stupid Sears - if you remember, I told the story of Best Buys and the freezer we never received and that fact that they didn't have any in stock, they were back ordered and no one called to tell us they weren't coming on a scheduled delivery day. Remember that story?
Chapter 2 - Best Buys is still trying to sell us a service contract on that freezer we never got. CLEARLY, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in service any more.
Glad things are looking up.
Keep blogging. We want to hear all about it.
This is Kit, Congratulations on your new job! i have been in personnel with the federal government since 1978. We should talk and get together for lunch when you start working. I work at 6th and E NW.
Congratulations!! You did it!! Good luck!!
I'm so excited that you got a job. It's sure been a long road. I hope the job is a good one. I can't wait to hear about the adventures of Noofy at Work!!
Crazy, crazy story about the Elliptical. It makes for good blogging...that's the only good thing about it.
Wow! That's wonderful, Noofy! You sure were tenacious and you deserve this job. I'm very excited for you.
Did that company ever call back about the elliptical machine? That was another interesting story, though not as good as getting a job. Woot!
Hi, Noofy,
It has been quiet.
Bet you are very busy.
Bet you are very tired.
Bet all your blogging friends miss you.
Hoping all is well.
RetiredKnitter-Elaine
Post a Comment